View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
New Mindsensors Camera 
Novice

Post New Mindsensors Camera
Has anyone used RobotC with the new Mindsensors Camera? (On the website the download files are are NXT-G based.)

If so, does anyone have a driver they'd be willing to post here for public use?

What experience or opinions do people have to share about its usage? How complex is it to use? Has anyone done anything interesting with it?

Thanks
James

Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:49 am

The Mindsensors camera is really nice, and it will work with Robot C. I tested the Beta version and it is a very powerful sensor. The NXTcamView software is a must download to use with the camera. With it you can take pictures of objects and then select the colors to track from the picture and save them on the camera for later use. The camera can save 8 different object colors.

I haven't tried the newer upgraded camera thats now for sale, but hopefully this weekend I will get it and play with it. When I get some code written ill make sure I post it for everyone to use B-)

Scott

My Robot Projects:
http://www.freewebs.com/robotprojects/

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:37 am
Profile WWW
Novice

Awesome, I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences. I checked out the NXTCamView software and it seems like an awesome tool. Being able to get a range of colour within a certain colour band should be awesome.

Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:40 pm
Rookie

I've been using the NXTCam for a week or so now. It does pretty well what it says on the box but with a few caveats. The color discrimination performance is poor. The camera is very sensitive to red, and barely sensitive to blue. I've tried it in a few different lighting conditions. It is better under flourescent light, but still not good. I've been using a black ball against a pale background which works well. Also the blobs can report erroneous boundaries near the edges of the image. The documentation is poor (and wrong in places) and you need to be prepared to work things out for yourself. But if you're using Robot C, your probably used to this ... :)

Still my kids were very impressed to watch the robot chase the ball across the carpet! Speed of response is certainly not an issue. All in all, good value at the price, but I hope they straighten out the bugs and documentation soon.

I've written my own library which sets up the camera and grabs the blobs into an array. As other posts have noted, you will need to use nxtcamview to set up the color spaces (although you could probably write a Robot C program to do it as well). I also have some demos that display the blobs as text, display the blobs graphically and chase a blob around. I'll post these on my website soon (stuck behind a foreign firewall right now) and send a post to the forum with the URL when done.

Gordon

Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:59 am
Rookie

As promised, the code is now available at:
http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~wyeth/NXT/

Gordon

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm
Rookie

Can anyone tell me, if it would in general also be possible to take pictures with the camera when connected to the NXT and process these pictures on the NXT (or send them away via bluetooth etc.)?

Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:45 am

No, you cant take pictures and send them over bluetooth or have the NXT save them. However, if the camera is connected to your computer by the mini usb cable and you use the NXTCamView, you can take pictures and save them.

My Robot Projects:
http://www.freewebs.com/robotprojects/

Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

I have been using the nxtcamlib, once the camera is configured using NxtCamView, it is my understanding that nblobs is a set of arrays, with pixel references to the blobs tracked.

I have a problem.
The values returned do not correlate to the expected pixel value results for the colours tracked.

Are the maximum 8 arrays just the first 8 blobs found? I ask as when I start tracking, there are multiple blobs tracked for one colour range.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]