View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Joystick Control 
Rookie

Post Joystick Control
I am new to RobotC and I have a question about a joystick interface. I recently downloaded the demo version of RobotC and was looking in the sample programs. There is one sample program that is named PC joystick. Does this mean that you can use a normal, USB, joystick plugged into your computer to control your robot? Unfortunately my VEX microcontroller isn't working right now, so I can't check to see if this PC Joystick program works. And if a joystick can control your robot is there any other supported interfaces? Ex: mouse, keyboard, or OSC interfaces?

Thanks,

Ben

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:11 pm
Rookie

Post Re: Joystick Control
Judging from the driver file and the fact that it is not mentioned in the help file, I would say this is only for NXT/TETRIX users.

Hey RobotC devs, maybe you could add some sweet features to the Vex version of your programming language that would make NXT users envious. I feel like RC for vex is turning into a side product, when its the best language for the Vex. The NXT has other (FREE! GASP!) languages that people can use. We don't. MPLAB is way over complicated, EasyC is dumb and expensive (not that RC for Vex isn't expensive.)

Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:44 pm
Rookie

Dang it. I really wish this worked with VEX. I 100% agree with you. I believe that there is a huge market for RobotC VEX users. EasyC is very easy and pretty limited but MPLAB is very complex and challenging for some one who is not 100% sure of what they are doing. I wish RobotC had more features to interact with 3rd party electronics, such as a joystick, or mouse, or keyboard. I am pretty new to RobotC, have there been many changes to it? Or is RobotC concentrating more on the NXT and kind of forgetting about VEX?

Thanks,

Ben

Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can say that we are not forgetting about VEX at all. The main concern with adding features with the VEX is that the original 0.5 platform has very limited space. Since IFI is also in the processing of releasing their new VEX PRO and VEX Cortex microcontrollers, those may be the option for those looking for additional functions and features.

With our very small development team, things must be put into priority to get anything done. If you have been in any software teams, you would understand that managing projects is a tough task, and we take into account all of your feedback. You just have to realize that we are doing our best to serve the ROBOTC community and we aren't purposely ignoring any requests for features. We must prioritize and process requests in order of importance, popularity (demand), and time.

Robotc.net| Robomatter Store | Robotics Academy | CS2N

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]