View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Is NXT to NXT communication possible with RobotC? 
Rookie

Post Is NXT to NXT communication possible with RobotC?
Hi,

I have just noticed that a posting I made about this a few days ago didn't explicitly state the question that I want an answer to, so here it is...

Is NXT to NXT communication possible with RobotC?

If not, then that's fine and I can stop worrying about it and find another solution.

If bluetooth based NXT to NXT communication is possible, then I'd love an example of how to use it.

Alternatively, is it possible to directly connect to NXT bricks? (e.g. by a cable connecting Sensor Port 4 on each brick together and using I2C)

Rob

Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:37 am

Bluetooth to Bluetooth is possible, but no demo code is available. There is documentation that is hidden in Robot C. If you installed Robot C do the default location, go to:

C:\Program Files\Robotics Academy\RobotC\robotc documentation

there are two files that are on bluetooth communication. I don't have a second NXT so iv never tried, sorry :-(

I don't know if you can communicate using I2C between two NXT's, It sounds plausible. I would be worried about the powered wires, you might have to make a special cable. Ill look into this.

Scott

My Robot Projects:
http://www.freewebs.com/robotprojects/

Last edited by starwarslegokid on Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Hi Rob

Bluetooth to Bluetooth is possible, but no demo code is available. There is documentation that is hidden in Robot C.

Hidden documentation, hey? Interesting approach to customer support! Anyway, thanks for the pointer.

Any idea who wrote those comments?

I'm particularly interested in the particularly frustrating comment that, "BT messaging in RobotC is not yet reliable so it is currently disabled in the firmware. I need to find a couple of days to properly test and debug. ... When BT messaging is re-enabled, I will post another message."

So let me get this straight... connecting NXT-to-NXT via Bluetooth *is* possible, as long as you don't want to the bricks to actually send messages to each other! Aaarrgghh!!!

My students have less than two weeks before they will be competing in a national robotics competition, please don't tell me they'd be better off using NXT-G!!

Rob

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:33 am
Expert

While I'm not trying to promote NXC, I must admit the bluetooth works very smoothly in NXC. I have programmed it to do a remote controller, as well as with the HiTechnic Accelerometer. Works swimmingly...

If you have to switch, switching to NXT-G will be too much a change, unless your students are already very fluent in it.

Just 2 cents.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:52 pm
Profile WWW

Where are you reading its not enabled in the firmware. Are you using Robot C 1.07 and its matching firmware?

I found that documentation in Robot C and l let everyone know about it, Its better than having nothing at all. The newer versions of Robot C does support Bluetooth to Bluetooth from what Im told but there is no demo code. That comment has not been updated and edited out for quite awhile.

there is also this file if you want just code commands and short comments
C:\Program Files\Robotics Academy\RobotC\includes\CodeTemplates.txt

Im sorry I cant help any further, I'm an NXT enthusiast who monitors the forums, not part of the development team. You can contact Dick Swan the creator using the PM in your user account, I think that might be your best route to take.

Good Luck B-)

My Robot Projects:
http://www.freewebs.com/robotprojects/

Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
Expert

Checked with Dick Swan. The Bluetooth support is not yet fully supported, but maybe the next few days. Rob, considering your competition is in 2 weeks, and have not yet tested with the robot-to-robot communication data along with your code. Scary thought to wait for a few more days.

Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Creator
Creator

NXT-to-NXT messaging for a single pair of NXT (i.e master connecting to a single slave NXT) is currently in test. A pre-release version should be posted in the next day or so. I will post more info later tonight based on the results of the performance testing

Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:03 pm
Rookie

NXT-to-NXT messaging for a single pair of NXT (i.e master connecting to a single slave NXT) is currently in test. A pre-release version should be posted in the next day or so. I will post more info later tonight based on the results of the performance testing

Thanks very much for that Dick. We'll be watching!

Elizabeth - I wasn't serious about going back to NXT-G for this particular situation. I'm well aware that that would be too challenging at this point.

Scott - Sorry for that overtone of "shooting the messenger" in my last post. I am grateful for your reponse - I didn't know (or had forgotten) about the hidden documentation. For the record, I currently have v1.05 installed. The line I quoted was from "Bluetooth Messaging.htm", dated 20 Dec 2006.

Rob

Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]