View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
robot c for linux 
Rookie

Post robot c for linux
does anyone know if robot c will work on windows wine or if a linux version of robot c is available for linux, cuase i hate windows (because windows is evil :twisted:) and im planing on switching over to ubuntu 8.10.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:51 pm

Post Re: robot c for linux
quackhacker44 wrote:
does anyone know if robot c will work on windows wine or if a linux version of robot c is available for linux, cuase i hate windows (because windows is evil :twisted:) and im planing on switching over to ubuntu 8.10.

Hi Quack,

This comes up every now and again, the answers to your questions are:
1) Nobody has managed so far, there are problems installing the driver under Wine.
2) A native Linux version is not available and considering the amount of work involved in creating such a port, I highly doubt this will be forthcoming any time soon.

However, it should run fine in VMWare Workstation in a Windows VM. I use VMWare Workstation 6.5 myself and am very happy with it. Of course, I run it on an MS Vista host. You can easily attach the BT hardware to the VM through the configuration options, I am sure this applies to the Linux version, too. There are also a few Linux based Open Source VM solutions, kvm, xen, etc. However, I am not sure how well this works as I have experience with ESX and VMWare WS/Server only.

I think you will find that having a dual-boot system will be a lot simpler and less time consuming. Remember, an OS is nothing more than a tool to run applications on. If you can't run the apps you need on it, then it is not the right OS to use. I've used Linux for almost 15 years now, 14 years of that have been in a professional capacity and I still prefer Windows on my desktop :) If I need Linux, I use a VM.

There is nothing more evil than an OS that stops you from being productive!

Regards,
Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]