View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
motor not moving!! 
Rookie

Post motor not moving!!
I'm an involved participant in FTC, who needs to set up a simple robot with the new FTC kit. I have received all of my parts, and have also constructed a simple robot. My problem begins with getting the motor's to turn. I have followed the instructions on the website and have set up the parts according the picture one that came with the FTC kit. I have been able to isolate my problem to an issue between the NXT and the motor controllers, or the motor controllers and the motors themselves. There seems to be no communication up until this point. Please let me know if this is a known issue or if there is something that is common for people to miss?

In addition, the sample program for the FTC kit uses motor d and e, however on the NXT there are no such motors (just a-c) where to these ports map to?

Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:58 pm
Professor

Post Re: motor not moving!!
Did you use the Motor and Sensor Setup wizard on the Robot menu to tell RobotC what stuff you plugged into what ports?

Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:34 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I have followed the instructions on the website and have set up the parts according the picture one that came with the FTC kit.

The instructions that came in the FTC kit have the motor controllers plugged into NXT Sensor Input 4. You can plug them into any port using ROBOTC, but by default, ROBOTC configures them to be in port 1. If your motor controller is plugged into port 4, try moving it to port 1.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:44 am
Creator
Creator

Charge your 12V battery.

There is a feature to disable the motors when the external battery is low to prevent too deeply discharging the battery. The setting for this threshold appears to be too high a level. This may cause the motors from not moving.

See the 7th post in this topic http://www.robotc.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3396. for more information. I've repeated it below.

Dick Swan wrote:
The original FTC / Tetrix prototype used 2 x 7.2V batteries and the external battery low voltage indicators were not changed until version 1.44 to reflect the single 12V battey that is shipping with the kit. This explains the frequent "low battery display" with the 1.43 release that shipped on the CD with the FTC kits.

In version 1.43 and earlier, the low battery pop up warned for both the internal battery and the external battery. For version 1.44, it was changed to occur only for the internal battery. Yes, it is desirable to also generate for external battery but I didn't have one yet to test so I disabled the check.

There is an easy way to adjust the sensitivity of the low battery popup. There's a couple of fields in the "System Parameters" debugger related to this that you can fine tune. I think you have to be in "Expert" Menu Level to get this particular debugger window.
  • the variable is "low voltage battery count limit" and represents the number of contiguous low voltage values that need to occur to trigger the popup display on the LCD. Try increasing this value and it may eliminate transients. I recall that a value of '0' will disable the popup display totally.
  • "muxLowBatteryShutdown" is a low voltage limit for the external battery used to disable the motors. It should be set to around 10000 which will display as 10.0 V. It looks like it currently reflects 12.0 V which is a value appropriate to the older 14.4 V battery level. This will be automatically changed in next release of ROBOTC (version 1.45). This check is designed to protect against excessive discharge of the battery which will dramatically shorten its life.I recommend everyone make this change.
Both of above values are stored in flash memory. So they only have to be set once per firmware download.

Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:55 am
Rookie

i'am the programer for my team and we can get the two joystick program working with the bot that is only nxt when the moters are changed to "A" and "B" :programmer: . but it work work when we try to move moters "D" and "E". :breakcomputer: we have changed the battery, changed the hook up to the exact book digram and tryed every port on the nxt. i can't even get the severos to work :evil: :breakcomputer: :breakcomputer: :breakcomputer: i poke you for infomation :poke: plz help

Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:51 pm
Expert

It sounds like you have a wiring problem.

FTC Team #2959 Team Smash Bros CLICK HERE.(or click www)
Quote:
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.

Agreed

Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Professor

Please post your program, including the #pragmas the Motor and Sensor Setup wizard created.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:31 pm
Rookie

program is : :programmer:
#pragma config(hubs, S1, HTMotor, HTServo, none, none)
#pragma config(Motor, motorD, , tmotorNormal, PIDControl, )
#pragma config(Motor, motorE, , tmotorNormal, PIDControl, )
//*!!code automatically generated by 'ROBOTC' configuration wizard !!*//

#include "JoystickDriver.c"

TJoystick joystick;

task main()
{
while (true)
{
getJoystickSettings (joystick) ;
motor[motorD] = joystick.joy1_y1;
motor[motorE] = joystick.joy1_y2;

if (joy1Btn(1))
{
motor[motorA] = 50;
}
else
{
motor[motorA] = 0;
}

}
}

now the button works because it is motor a, but for some reason the other motors don't. if i change D,E to A,B then thouse motors will work. :? if it a wire problem then what should it look like. a picture would be helpful cause right now it looks like the dieigram in the tetrix book. i poke you for information :poke: plz help :?:
note i put in spaces but they won't show.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:13 pm
Professor

My guess is that you either have something wired incorrectly or your 12V battery is too low or not turned on.

Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:17 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you have your encoders installed on your robot? If not, you may want to go into "Motors and Sensor Setup" and disable the PID control.

Also, upgrade to ROBOTC 1.46... you don't need the "TJoystick joystick;" line anymore.

Also, make sure that you have the Joystick debugger window open, or else joystick messages won't be sent to your NXT.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:35 am
Rookie

there are incoders on one but that one won't run and in the debug windows the one that shown the statis of the motors the value for motors D/E is changeing but the motors won't turn at all and i keep changeing the battery but it won't work any way and the switch is on. :breakcomputer: we also have the program that they sent us for robotc. i poke you for information :poke: plz help
the sampul program is also different i had it attached to this post we also have the program that they sent us for robotc :cry:

Attachments:
File comment: akkkkkkkkkk
2_Joystick_Drive.c [507 Bytes]
Downloaded 213 times

Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:57 pm
Professor

Please verify that your wiring looks like the attached (corrected) diagram.
Attachment:
Tetrix Wiring.JPG
Tetrix Wiring.JPG [ 65.72 KiB | Viewed 4265 times ]

Last edited by Jeff McBride on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:13 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Update: The picture above is correct for the training and samples included with ROBOTC.

Thanks Jeff!

Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Professor

Thank you for pointing out the error in my diagram Tim. I have corrected the picture.

Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:02 pm
Rookie

i conected it like the digram and it still does not work with motors attched and it is on :breakcomputer: :cry: i noticed somthing in the joystick sampule from robotc but it did not help. normaly when first brought up it says "error motor defined twice" then i deleted the motorD/motorE part and was left with: mtr_S1_C1_1/mtr_S1_C1_2. the encoders are also atached and hooked up. when i tryed to move the motors manuly throu nxt hook up window the normal nxt motors worked but when i tryed the D/E it sayed it was moveing but wasn't!!!! :breakcomputer: :evil: :cry: *in order*

Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next