View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
What the kit have? 
Expert

Post What the kit have?
Hello everyone...

I was thinking on create a team to FTC, but i really need to know what the kit brings...

In Portugal, it seems that the competition doesn't exist...

What Should i do? any guess ?

Thanks

Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:59 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: What the kit have?
The "retail" kit contents are available here -
http://www.legoeducation.com/store/deta ... 586&bhcp=1

The team kit information can be found out via the FIRST Organization @ www.usfirst.org

Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:48 pm
Expert

The Kit includes the NXT education kit (NOT the NXT standard kit), the Tetrix kit, the FTC expansion kit, 2 Logitech Dual Action controlers, 2 extra touch sensors, 1 extra sound sensor, 1 HiTechnic compass sensor (you won't usualy need this, so use it on another project), 1 HiTechnic DC motor controler, and 1 HiTechnic servo controler. The NXT education kit comes with MOST of the parts in the NXT standard kit, plus all the sensors and motors. The FTC expansion kit includes extra parts from the Tetrix kit, plus 2 80 tooth gears, 4 4in wheels, and 2 more motors (Requiring an extra HiTechnic motor controler.) I would recomend that you build your robot to be able to carry multiple pucks, by the way.

FTC Team #2959 Team Smash Bros CLICK HERE.(or click www)
Quote:
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.

Agreed

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:58 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Just regarding the above post by CC335 the two extra motors does not require another HiTechnic DC Motor Controller; you can put motors in parallel (i.e. two motors on one port).

Although if you want to control each motor independently then yes you need the extra DC Motor Controller. You can buy it here if you're an FTC team, http://parts.ftcrobots.com/store/detail ... =1&t=0&l=0 for 64 bucks.

The rest of the Tetrix parts can be viewed here, http://parts.ftcrobots.com

Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:07 am
Expert

First... I made a typo on my last post. the extra gears are 120 tooth, not 80.
Second... You will need the other HiTechnic controler, but only if the motors are (1) not part of the drivetrain; or (2) part of an omnidrive system, which is for the meantime, not posible with the Tetrix kit.

Quote:
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.

Agreed

Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

CC335 wrote:
part of an omnidrive system, which is for the meantime, not posible with the Tetrix kit.

many people would argue with you on that! especially with the aluminum and polycorbonate available i think it is definitely possible to make an omnidiretional system with tetrix!

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:05 pm
Expert

Still, you would need omniwheels for an omnidrive system. And the Tetrix system doesn't have omniwheels.

Quote:

Agreed

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

CC335 wrote:
Still, you would need omniwheels for an omnidrive system. And the Tetrix system doesn't have omniwheels.

I'm saying that you could make them yourself with the parts available ;)

Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:02 pm
Expert

Still, you can't use modified parts for the FTC

Quote:

Agreed

Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

You wouldn't have to modify anything. I've seen people make omni wheels with just LEGO.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:36 pm
Expert

Quote:
<R5> Robot construction is constrained to the following: a. Any part included in the Official FTC competition kit may be used (except as limited below). Only one (1) NXT Controller Up to four (4) 12V DC drive Motors Up to six (6) Servos Up to three (3) NXT motors Only one (1) 12 VDC NiMH may be used to power the Robot. This battery must be identical to those supplied in the kit of parts. (Note: the TETRIX™ battery is custom designed with an internal 20 amp protection circuit. Use of any other battery could result in permanent damage to the NXT components and is not allowed). One (1) NXT rechargeable battery pack or six (6) AA batteries (any type). The packaging, manual binders, Styrofoam, cardboard, plastic bags, etc. from the kits are NOT included and CANNOT be used for robot construction. Only the TETRIX and LEGO parts themselves are allowed. b. The following additional components may also be used: LEGO approved NXT sensor Any NXT compatible sensor from HiTechnic, including the NXT Touch Sensor Multiplexer and the NXT prototype boards (both solderable and solderless) 1/8” Rope, any length 12” x 15” of Non-Slip Pad Universal Security Clips to hold PWM connections together, such as those found at http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-3.html Any material strictly used as a color filter for a Light Sensor. The Permatex Super Lube provided by the TETRIX system may be used only to reduce friction with the Robot. Lubricants shall not be allowed to contaminate the playing field or other Robots.

It does not say that you may use lego parts NOT included in the kit. That means that all lego parts NOT from the kit may NOT be used.

Quote:

Agreed

Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:32 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

You are allowed to use any quantity of those parts in the kit. I'm saying with those parts in that kit; without modifying any of them, you could make a set of omni directional wheels.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:35 pm
Expert

I doubt that.

Quote:

Agreed

Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Anything is possible. I`m sure a successful version of it would be highly unorthodox and would have its flaws but it is definitely possible.

Any particular reason why this seems nigh impossible to you?

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:52 pm
Expert

The parts in the Education kit can either be used with or without the same parts from other sets. the only way to make an omnidirectional robot would require a LOT of motors. something that the kit doesn't have.

Quote:

Agreed

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next