View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
NXT Firmware Update & Arduino IDE Issues (Renamed) 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: NXT Firmware Update & Arduino IDE Issues (Renamed)
We only simple run the provided NI installer - our installer doesn't do much other than call it (with the pass through elevated privileges).

I've brought this issue up to NI to see what their thoughts are in terms of a potential fix... but everyone's so focused on EV3 anymore, I don't know if anything will happen.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:41 am
Rookie

Thank you, thank you, thank you! First attempt to upgrade to 1.31 hung, dead brick. Followed instructions. Saved me. Have now updated from 1.0 to 1.31.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:12 pm
Rookie

Hello!
I have this exact same problem as you described in this feed. I am running RobotC 3.62 on a Windows 8 computer. I try to follow the instructions that you described, but when I get when I search the C:/Windows/Inf directory it comes up with no results. I am totally stumped, as your instructions don't mention this happening. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:03 pm
Rookie

I also searched the entire PC for the ID, and still came up with nothing. What should I do?

Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:59 am
Guru

Detail instructions on how to fix this in two different ways can be found in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7133

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:24 pm
Rookie

:bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

ร่วมเล่นสนุกๆไปกับพวกเรา ได้ที่นี่ คาสิโนออนไลน์

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:34 am
Rookie

I'm having the same issue but the fix doesn't work for me. When I search for the Inf files I find Oem33.inf and oem121.inf. I try to delete both and then uninstall the brick. When I plug the brick back in it installs once again as the bossa device and the inf files return to the folder. I tried to rename the files to .bak but the unaltered files would still return to the folder. How can I just delete the inf files for all of eternity? Why are they reappearing in the folder?

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:49 pm
Guru

Read the link three posts up. It described two different ways to fix the problem. It sounds like you did not completely clean out the "Bossa" device. In that case, it may be easier for you to use Option A.

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:21 pm
Rookie

MHTS, A HUGE THANK YOU from me. I thought I had accidentally bricked my NXT for good! Funny thing is that I haven't installed or used anything to do with arduino.
By the way, I'm on windows 10. Either way, thank you so much for your detailed solution!

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:02 pm
Guru

pkvk9122 wrote:
Funny thing is that I haven't installed or used anything to do with arduino.

It just means you have another device that shared the same device ID as the NXT Mindstorms Firmware update device. Whatever that is, the same steps should be able to fix it (i.e. identify the device, uninstall/remove it from the system).

Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:34 pm
Rookie

pkvk9122 wrote:
By the way, I'm on windows 10. Either way, thank you so much for your detailed solution!

Windows 10 now detects an NXT in boot mode as a Bossa device whether you've ever installed Arduino software or not.

The only way to update the firmware on an NXT with Windows 10 is to follow all the steps in an earlier post in this thread.

Kind of annoying to say the least.

Terry

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:01 pm
Guru

terbos wrote:
Windows 10 now detects an NXT in boot mode as a Bossa device whether you've ever installed Arduino software or not.

The only way to update the firmware on an NXT with Windows 10 is to follow all the steps in an earlier post in this thread.

Kind of annoying to say the least.

Terry

Are you sure it's from Windows 10? I was helping another guy with Windows 10. I've learned that the INF that contained the "Bossa Program device" was oem200.inf which means it did not come with Windows 10 by default. It's an OEM device. I suspect 3 possible scenarios: 1) there must be a "populate device" that is using the same USB communication chipset as the NXT and the Arduino. So they all share the same device ID. Or 2) somehow Windows 10 decided a driver on the Internet is more "compatible" with the NXT device instead of using the one already there. 3) The NXT was plugged in before RobotC was installed which means there was no "NXT firmware update" driver and Windows 10 went to the Internet to get one. When that happens, you don't even know it. It will just be installed.

RobotC folks, if any of the above scenarios are true, it looks like this problem is becoming more frequent. You probably need to look into it and really come up with a solution to solve it once and for all. I have already suggested a solution in previous posts but it requires the NI folks to change the INF. Another alternative is to not use the "NXT firmware update driver" and instead use the Bossa Program device driver. Since the "Bossa Program device" presents itself as a COM port, the RobotC NXT firmware update mode should just communicate with the NXT through a COM port instead. Then it should just work without the "NXT firmware update driver". Or you can make it work on either drivers.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:30 pm
Rookie

MHTS wrote:
Are you sure it's from Windows 10?

I've run into the problem a couple times on different Win10 machines, but my most recent experience seems to seal it.

I built a brand new machine on Sunday this week. Aside from the motherboard drivers, usual browsers and email stuff, the next software I loaded was RobotC. The new 4.50 version wanted new firmware for my NXTs, so I was off to the races.

The first NXT that needed firmware actually worked correctly. RobotC flipped it to bootloader mode, connected, and downloaded firmware. But while that was happening, Windows 10 was downloading the Bossa driver in the background. When I tried to load firmware to the second NXT, it got lost because the Bossa driver connected first and RobotC couldn't see the correct device name.

I suspect that your second theory is the best one. Windows 10 already has the NXT driver installed, but it decides that the Bossa driver is "better" and downloads and installs it. That's why the solution requires deleting the Bossa files and blocking Internet access during firmware loads.

I do wonder if the RobotC folks can actually scan for the Bossa device name as a fallback for a missing NXT Boot Mode device. That would be an interesting, if somewhat hacky solution.

Terry

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:01 pm
Guru

terbos wrote:
I suspect that your second theory is the best one. Windows 10 already has the NXT driver installed, but it decides that the Bossa driver is "better" and downloads and installs it. That's why the solution requires deleting the Bossa files and blocking Internet access during firmware loads.

I do wonder if the RobotC folks can actually scan for the Bossa device name as a fallback for a missing NXT Boot Mode device. That would be an interesting, if somewhat hacky solution.

Terry

With your newer details, I do think it's the 2nd scenario too. Windows is constantly evaluating if there is a "newer driver" (aka Windows update). Since the NXT's driver is several years old, I am thinking the Windows update store has acquired a much newer "Bossa Program device" driver. Since they have the same device ID, Windows will download and install the "Bossa Program device" driver instead. If this is true, one way to get around it is to go to control panel->System->Advanced and either disable Windows update or set Windows update to "must approve before download" instead of "auto download". This behavior is the same as previous versions of Windows. I suspect it came up because Microsoft Update has either acquired a newer "Bossa Program device" since Windows 10 or before the Windows 10 timeframe, Windows Update did not contain the "Bossa Program device" at all.

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2