View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
robot with mecanum wheels 
Rookie

Post robot with mecanum wheels
How can I build a robot with mecanum wheels? I am wanting to design/build a robot with mecanum wheels. Is it possible to connect the 4 independent motors straight to a rc reciever and program the remote control to drive the servos. Basically i need to know if its possible to build this robot without the use of a microcontroller and other electrical devices. Also, any other input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by deboleena on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:50 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: robot with mecanum wheels
deboleena wrote:
Is it possible to connect the 4 independent motors straight to a rc reciever and program the remote control to drive the servos. Basically i need to know if its possible to build this robot without the use of a microcontroller and other electrical devices.

Hi deboleena,
It is possible to wire each of the four motors to one of four different channels on your RC system. However, this probably won't give you the control scheme you're looking for.

The standard way to control a mecanum drive is to have one joystick that moves the robot forward, backward, left and right, and a second joystick that controls the robot's turning. All RC systems that I've ever seen have at most what's usually called "V-tail mixing" between two channels at a time, but don't support the more complex arrangement of combining three three input channels (forward/back, strafe left/right, and turn) to generate four output channels.

There is, however, an off-the-shelf modular product that performs the appropriate mixing for a mecanum drive: http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/RL-MECANUM.html. You can also, of course, use a programmable controller to do the appropriate mixing operations as well.

Cheers,
--Ryan

Robot Potato Head; Virtual NXT

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]