View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
RobotC for Minstorms 3.62 Won't Run without Internet 
Rookie

Post RobotC for Minstorms 3.62 Won't Run without Internet
Hi, We presume this is some sort of licensing issue. We have a non-expiring license that's not supposed to require an internet connection. After uninstalling RC 3.55 for Mindstorms and installing RC 3.62, we discovered that after every (or many, not sure) shut downs RobotC won't run. We get an error that the program has stopped working before we see any sign of any RC windows. Connecting the computer to the internet fixes it. We tried reinstalling RobotC 3.62 many times, but the problem is persistent.

We then check the license, and try to add a license, but it says it is there and it's non-expiring, etc.

We have an FTC tournament coming up, and it may not be possible to connect to the internet there, or at least we don't want to count on being able to.

Thanks,
Ken

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: RobotC for Minstorms 3.62 Won't Run without Internet
There's a couple of things I can suggest with this particular issue. First, check the security settings on your antivirus program, as it may be interfering with ROBOTC's start up process (also, which antivirus program are you using?). Next, try disabling the computer's network adapter(s) through the Device Manager and open ROBOTC once they are disabled. Does ROBOTC still crash upon startup when then are disabled?

Thank you in advance for this information.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:10 pm
Rookie

Well, mystery solved, if not problem solved.

It turns out that RobotC won't open whenever the wireless switch (button) on the laptop is on. Turning wireless off allows RobotC to open just fine.

I am not certain if this problem will be reproducible beyond our classroom. Maybe it has something to do with the restrictions the school places on student wireless access.

Thanks for your suggestions. It got me thinking in the right direction.

Ken

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

What can happen is if a school's firewall/access restrictions tend to throw garbage when ROBOTC is really expecting a small bit of data (just a simple OK from the server), it can cause a buffer overflow and other issues when starting up.

We've improved this for ROBOTC 4.x, so it should be fixed in the future... but for now the changes haven't been back ported into ROBOTC 3.x just yet. Should we end up doing another release for 3.x, they may be included.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]