View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Hitechnic color sensor 
Guru

Post Hitechnic color sensor
We have a Hitechnic color sensor. Does anyone know how to tell if it is a V1 or V2 sensor? It seems Xander has different drivers for V1 and V2. I just want to make sure we use the correct driver. The label on the sensor said "Hi Technic Color Sensor". Does the V2 sensor has V2 on the label? I scanned through Xander's drivers and saw the main difference is for reading raw values. So I modified Xander's test programs to read raw values from the sensor to see if it is V1 or V2. The V1 test program reads the raw RGB fine (except that Blue value was always very high no matter what color I showed it). The V2 test program could not detect a V2 sensor. So I am thinking my sensor is V1 but if somebody can tell me for sure, that would be great.

Thanks.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:48 am
Expert

Post Re: Hitechnic color sensor
Check out the HT Color Sensor product page. Read the section "Sensor Register Layout". I2C registers 0-7 contain the version information (stored as ASCII).

IIRC, on the bottom of the sensor where is says "Hi Technic Color Sensor", V2 also says "V2".

If you plug in the sensor, look at the optics end, and you see red green and blue light sort of blurred together, it's V1. If you see white light it's V2.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

mattallen37 wrote:
Check out the HT Color Sensor product page. Read the section "Sensor Register Layout". I2C registers 0-7 contain the version information (stored as ASCII).

IIRC, on the bottom of the sensor where is says "Hi Technic Color Sensor", V2 also says "V2".

If you plug in the sensor, look at the optics end, and you see red green and blue light sort of blurred together, it's V1. If you see white light it's V2.

I wrote a little program to read register 0-7 as you suggested and it returned "V1.5". So it is half way between V1 and V2!!! So is it V1 or V2? I suppose as long as the major version is 1, it is still V1. However, I looked at the light and it's white, not red/green/blue blend together. Plus that the label did not say V2. So I am more biased on it being V1.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:16 pm
Expert

To quote the HT Color sensor product page:
Quote:
The Sensor version number field will report a revision number in the format “Vn.m” where n is the major version number and m is the revision level. Revision numbers will typically reflect the firmware level. The version number will be used to indicate the hardware level.
If they followed that, then you have V1.

As far as I know, this is how the HT Color sensor V1 and V2 work. V1 uses an RGB LED, and as it cycles through red, green, blue, and off, it takes readings from the phototransistor. V2 uses a white LED and essentially has red, green, and blue sensors (i.e. three phototransistors, each with a different filter). Due to the V2 being able to see multiple colors (instead of just grayscale), it can be used to determine the color of ambient light, not just the color of an object.

You could contact HiTechnic to see what they say.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:57 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

mattallen37 wrote:
To quote the HT Color sensor product page:
Quote:
The Sensor version number field will report a revision number in the format “Vn.m” where n is the major version number and m is the revision level. Revision numbers will typically reflect the firmware level. The version number will be used to indicate the hardware level.
If they followed that, then you have V1.

As far as I know, this is how the HT Color sensor V1 and V2 work. V1 uses an RGB LED, and as it cycles through red, green, blue, and off, it takes readings from the phototransistor. V2 uses a white LED and essentially has red, green, and blue sensors (i.e. three phototransistors, each with a different filter). Due to the V2 being able to see multiple colors (instead of just grayscale), it can be used to determine the color of ambient light, not just the color of an object.

You could contact HiTechnic to see what they say.

I am pretty sure we have a V1. However, I am also sure it has a white LED not 3 LEDs of red/green/blue. We also has a LEGO color sensor. That one has 3 color LEDs. In any case, it is working for me with the V1 driver. So we are all set. From what I can tell the difference between V1 and V2 is that V1's LED is always on whereas V2 allows you to turn the LED off.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]