View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Can get my own robot on RVW. 
Rookie

Post Can get my own robot on RVW.
Ok so i am new to robot programming. I created set of codes for a robot so it will drive around by itself and wont hit stuff(i know its simplle but its my first thing). The problem is that i want to test it but i dont have a robot yet so i got RVW, but i cant get my robot n the RVW program it only has the few it comes with. How can i make it so i can use my own robot on it?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Can get my own robot on RVW.
Great question! This is something that we're actively researching and working on.

Have you seen our RVW Level Builder: http://www.robotc.net/blog/2012/09/19/r ... available/ ? It allows you to configure your own challenge. At the beginning of next year, we'll be releasing an update that allows you to import your own non-moving object and incorporate it into the levels that you make.

The next step will be to allow you to import your own robot that was created in software like Inventor, Solidworks, and SketchUp.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:37 am
Rookie

Hi,

Do you think it might be possible in the future to import NXT models from Lego Digital Designer?

Thanks,

Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:57 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestion!

LEGO Digital Designer is a great program. It looks like it saves it's files as a custom .LXF extensions, so we'll have to do some research to see what kind of data those models provide (and if it's enough for us to use for robot importing). We will definitely look into it!

Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:03 am
Rookie

Hello,

Has the functionality to import robots into Virtual World been completed yet?

We use PTC CAD that produces .STL output files. Is it possible to import this extension into the VW Block Party game.

If so this would be very exciting.

Thank you
Kevin

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

kdWCA wrote:
Has the functionality to import robots into Virtual World been completed yet?

We use PTC CAD that produces .STL output files. Is it possible to import this extension into the VW Block Party game.

Hi Kevin,
We're working on this just for teams like yours. It's not going to be ready for this season, but we'll be rolling out advancements over the next year that will hopefully lead up to being able to import robots. RVWs that allow you to customize robots using different pre-defined mechanisms (i.e. swapping wheels, chassis, grippers; rather like some racing games allow you to customize your car) should be available starting early next year, and we'll be gradually opening that up to allow importing custom mechanisms from CAD files as we develop the capabilities to do so.

Best,
--Ryan

Robot Potato Head; Virtual NXT

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:07 pm
Rookie

Ryan,

Thank you for the update. We are excited to see what your team comes up with.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]