View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Can you move more than 3 bucky balls at one time? 
Rookie

Post Can you move more than 3 bucky balls at one time?
Hello,

This is a really late question. In the real VEX Toss Up game, you are not allowed to control more than 3 bucky balls at one time. Is that rule going to be followed in the VEX Toss Up Programming Challenge?

Thank you!

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:46 pm
Rookie

Post Re: Can you move more than 3 bucky balls at one time?
While my opinion is nothing more than my opinion, nothing in the VEX Toss Up Challenge rules pdf would seem to indicate that moving more than 3 bucky balls at once is against the rules. For that matter, nothing in the VEX Toss Up Challenge rules pdf makes any reference to the rules of the original VEX Toss Up game being incorporated.

As an FTC mentor, I have virtually no familiarity with the rules of the original VEX Toss Up game and I didn't know that this was a limitation in the original game until your post. I'd guess that there might also be other rules in the original game that are different here?

For the record, I do push and pull as many bucky balls as I can at times, and it can take me many runs sometimes to get all the balls to bounce just the right way to get a top score. I hope you have the time to do the same before the final deadline.

Cheers,
Bill

Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:06 am
Rookie

While I can't make the admins respond to this quicker, this is an very important question as I have been limiting my runs in accordance with the VEX Toss Up Rules (which I have listed said rules below). I guess the question is whether or not the standard VEX Toss Up Rules apply to this challenge. There are not any other vital rules as far as I know that are not already listed wgardner. The other issue is that is is quite late into the challenge and it seems like there are people who did both. I wish we would have caught this sooner :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<SG8> Robots may not Possess more than three (3) BuckyBalls at once. Violations of this rule will result in a warning for minor offenses which do not affect the match. Egregious (match affecting) offenses will result in a Disqualification. Teams that receive multiple warnings may also receive a Disqualification at the head referee's discretion.

Possessing – A Robot is considered to be Possessing a BuckyBall if it actively controlling the BuckyBall. Examples of Possessing include:

• Carrying or holding BuckyBall(s) in the Robot

• Herding BuckyBalls, i.e. intentionally pushing or impelling BuckyBall(s) to a desired location or path
-Accidentally Herding BuckyBall(s) (i.e. driving through BuckyBall(s) in the path of the Robot) is not considered herding, and thus not considered Possessing

•Trapping BuckyBall(s), i.e. intentionally pressing BuckyBall(s)up against a field object

Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:48 am
Rookie

Thanks for the reply Bill. Unit332 is one of the students in my programming class. We talked about not being able to move more than 3 buckies at a time. I told him to continue coding this way to prepare for the VEX season. I don't actually think it hinders us much. At the time I made this post, I was trying to think of ways to score more and wanted alternatives in case I couldn't come up with anything. Fortunately, I now have a plan that should do the trick if I could just get it to all work in 1 run...

Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]