View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
new EV3 
Guru

Post Re: new EV3
Wow, it took 30 seconds for the brick to boot and even longer (43 seconds) for it to shut down. I guess that's the price to pay using Linux. :-(

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:18 pm
Expert

Well, unlike the RCX and NXT, the EV3 is a computer running a real OS, not just an application specific FW. Considering the EV3 CPU is running at 300MHz, 30 seconds to boot seems pretty good.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:31 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Roboticist

Assuming I get the edu set, will LEGO have a download for the normal software? I think I remember seeing a yes somewhere, but I don't remember.

"Don't they teach recreational mathematics anymore?" - The Tenth Doctor
Bow down to Nikola Tesla, King of the Geek Gods.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Expert

I have seen several sources that say yes.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Expert

mattallen37 wrote:
Well, unlike the RCX and NXT, the EV3 is a computer running a real OS, not just an application specific FW. Considering the EV3 CPU is running at 300MHz, 30 seconds to boot seems pretty good.

Yep. Linux. It will be my first encounter with that operating system. I'm excited! :)

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Expert

Out of curiosity, does Lego have a version for Linux computers? I'd think so because a linux-linux communication should be easier that a MAC-Linux or a Windows-Linux. :) Also, Does anyone know why RobotC only runs on Windows, not MAC or Linux?

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

My first build with EV3. Just followed the instruction booklet it came with. I can't wait to get my hands on RobotC 4.0 that will support it. The only thing I can do with it now is the on-screen programming which gets boring really fast.

Attachments:
IMG_4382.JPG
IMG_4382.JPG [ 2.76 MiB | Viewed 3064 times ]
IMG_4381.JPG
IMG_4381.JPG [ 2.05 MiB | Viewed 3064 times ]
Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:43 pm
Expert

@roboRed Linux is totally awesome!!! I just started using it regularly back in February, with Raspberry Pi. IMO it is far superior to any other OS I have experience with.

A version of what, the new EV3 GUI programming SW? I haven't seen any indication of Linux support, and I really doubt it. I can't speak for Mac, but Windows <> Linux communication isn't too bad usually, and with how everything is setup, Windows <> EV3 communication should be just as easy as Linux <> EV3 communication (with the EV3's Lego VM anyhow).

For people who can really take advantage of Linux, they probably would be more at home with C and gcc, than with the Lego GUI programming, or even ROBOTC.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Expert

mattallen37 wrote:
@roboRed Linux is totally awesome!!! I just started using it regularly back in February, with Raspberry Pi. IMO it is far superior to any other OS I have experience with.

A version of what, the new EV3 GUI programming SW? I haven't seen any indication of Linux support, and I really doubt it. I can't speak for Mac, but Windows <> Linux communication isn't too bad usually, and with how everything is setup, Windows <> EV3 communication should be just as easy as Linux <> EV3 communication (with the EV3's Lego VM anyhow).

For people who can really take advantage of Linux, they probably would be more at home with C and gcc, than with the Lego GUI programming, or even ROBOTC.

I know. Linux is the only Desktop OS that people can freely contribute to the software. It is awesome! :) :) :) :) But why doesn't RobotC support the Linux OS if they are going to make software for a Linux based platform? :? :shock:

Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Roboticist

Oh, I do love linux. I've only been using it on my Pi though, as my new-ish desktop is stupid and I can't get the UEFI to work with it. :-(
I plan on re-configuring (read: Raiding and rebuilding) some old computers to run Linux and play with it more.

As to MHTS, awesome. I wasn't too concerned with getting mine so soon since the s/w would be unavailable right now. :P

Btw guys, you know the remote and IR sensor? The remote is just a PF remote with a beacon installed. The two Fwd/Back buttons on it send the same signals as a standard PF remote. The channels are the same too. So if you're getting the Edu set and just want a simple remote with no beacon, you probably already have a PF remote and just need the IR sensor.

"Don't they teach recreational mathematics anymore?" - The Tenth Doctor
Bow down to Nikola Tesla, King of the Geek Gods.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
Expert

MHTS wrote:
My first build with EV3. Just followed the instruction booklet it came with. I can't wait to get my hands on RobotC 4.0 that will support it. The only thing I can do with it now is the on-screen programming which gets boring really fast.

Nice Floor MHTS!

Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:16 pm
Profile WWW

That is very nice! I have the edu BoM, but not the box and I don't have the pieces from the expansion set.

As for the box being empty, hah! I guess you're just going to have to take my word for it :P I don't need the contents of it at the moment, so I'd prefer to keep it sealed for now. This is my usual setup and I just add/remove sensors and motors as required.

= Xander

Attachments:
2013-08-09 06-small.jpg
2013-08-09 06-small.jpg [ 59.25 KiB | Viewed 3049 times ]
2013-08-09_06-53-47-small.png
2013-08-09_06-53-47-small.png [ 173.4 KiB | Viewed 3049 times ]

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]
Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:59 am
Profile WWW
Guru

The screen shot doesn't look like RobotC 4.0, does it? The language doesn't look like RobotC. How did you connect to the Linux console? I plugged the EV3 in via USB but all it showed was a HID compliant device. I ran some test on it and it was reporting:
Code:
Vendor/Product/Ver=0x0694/0x0005/0x0216
ManufacturerString=<LEGO Group>
     ProductString=<EV3>
   SerialNumString=<0016533f1eca>
   UsagePage/Usage=0xff00/0x0001
NumLinkCollections= 1
    InputReportLen=1025,  OutputReportLen=1025,  FeatureReportLen= 0
   NumInputButtons= 0,   NumInputValues= 1,   NumInputIndices= 1
  NumOutputButtons= 0,  NumOutputValues= 1,  NumOutputIndices= 1
 NumFeatureButtons= 0, NumFeatureValues= 0, NumFeatureIndices= 0

UsagePage 0xff00 means Vendor specific. So it is a proprietary device not standard HID. I was hoping the USB interface gives me a USB-COM interface so I can putty into the Linux console.

Last edited by MHTS on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:22 am

I connect via WiFi and the code you see if regular Linux stuff, I am working on a library to allow you to interface with the devices on the EV3 using C.

= Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:21 am
Profile WWW
Guru

mightor wrote:
I connect via WiFi and the code you see if regular Linux stuff, I am working on a library to allow you to interface with the devices on the EV3 using C.

= Xander

Does it have built-in WiFi or do I have to plug in USB WiFi? How do I connect via WiFi. When I tried to enable WiFi, it gave me an error with a NO USB icon, so it gave me an impression that I need to plug in USB WiFi. If I need to plug in USB WiFi, which USB WiFi does the EV3 work with? I suppose the EV3 only has limited USB WiFi drivers in its Linux image.
BTW, since it is Linux, I suppose it is using SSH with port 22 then? Is that correct?

Last edited by MHTS on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next