View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Internet controlled robot 
Rookie

Post Internet controlled robot
How do I made an Internet controlled robot? I need to make a robot, that is connected to the internet or something so that I can control it from very far away. I am going to attach a camera to it and find out what kind of animal is snooping around our other house (we rent out houses). Any ideas on how to make one on a budget? The reason we don't just set a trap is because it might be a skunk, and we don't exactly want to capture it in a cage.

Last edited by JohnWatson on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Edited out spam links.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:23 am
Professor

Post Re: Internet controlled robot
Is this robot going to be made with an NXT? It could get really tricky... I'm a C++ programmer, so check this out:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/do ... _asio.html
If you want to use "pure" windows stuff, this is a nice tutorial:
http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/

In short, this is probably more complicated than you imagined :P

and also quadrotors. Quadrotors!

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:15 pm
Guru

soushtina wrote:
How do I made an Internet controlled robot? I need to make a robot, that is connected to the internet or something so that I can control it from very far away. I am going to attach a camera to it and find out what kind of animal is snooping around our other house (we rent out houses). Any ideas on how to make one on a budget? The reason we don't just set a trap is because it might be a skunk, and we don't exactly want to capture it in a cage.

In theory, since the FTC robot can communicate wirelessly via the Samantha module, it should be possible to remote control the robot via the Internet. There are at least two ways to communicate with the robot through the internet. To contact the robot within a local network, all you need is to discover its IP address. To control via the Internet, one must set up port forwarding on your wireless router to the robot. But then it means you need to know the port range that the robot is responding to. I don't have that info although it is probably not too hard to figure out if you can sniff the network. Another way is to set up a VPN network through your router's firewall. Once you tunnel through the VPN network, the remote network is pretty much becoming a local network. Therefore, RobotC can just discover the robot as if the robot is at the same location. If you are not network savvy, this may be a little too difficult.

BTW, if you just want a remote camera, that's a lot easier to do than a remote robot. Any IP pan and tilt camera would work for your purpose. You just mount the camera pointing at your backyard, forward a port range on your router to the IP camera. Then you should be able to remote view the camera and remote control pan and tilt. In that regard, it's like a remote robot without the moving mobility.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:09 pm
Professor

MHTS wrote:
In theory, since the FTC robot can communicate wirelessly via the Samantha module, it should be possible to remote control the robot via the Internet. [...]

We don't know if an FTC robot is being used though... :?

Another thought: if you know where this animal has been, you could set up a camera and a motion detector, and have it snap pictures whenever the detector is triggered. The detector could be a PIR sensor, or it could be something like a laser (tripwire) pointing at a CdS sensor.

and also quadrotors. Quadrotors!

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:04 pm
Guru

Ernest3.14 wrote:
Another thought: if you know where this animal has been, you could set up a camera and a motion detector, and have it snap pictures whenever the detector is triggered. The detector could be a PIR sensor, or it could be something like a laser (tripwire) pointing at a CdS sensor.

Any IP camera can be set up to record when detected motion, no additional hardware is required. I think this is the simply thing you can do.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]