View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
RVW Crashing: GetThreadContext Failed (x26) 
Rookie

Post RVW Crashing: GetThreadContext Failed (x26)
In the past 5 hours, I've had Robot Virtual Worlds Crash 26 times :crying: , all with the same error "GetThreadContext failed." I've reinstalled drivers for graphics card and CPU (as per some Unity instructions), I've also reinstalled the Toss Up Virtual World as per this thread). Finally, I disabled avast! as per some Unity instructions I found on web. Essentially, I am able to run the program for maybe 1 minute before the application crashes. Any suggestions?

P.S.
Intel i7-2360QM @ 2.00 GHz (turbo boost up to 2.7 GHz), it's a quad-core
8GB RAM
I've used both integrated Intel graphics and GT 550M
ROBOTC 3.60

Thanks

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: RVW Crashing: GetThreadContext Failed (x26)
Hi edjubah,

Looks like this is a problem with the Unity runtime that we use to create RVW (you seem to have figured this out), and so unfortunately isn't something that we can change ourselves. Here's a couple of fixes to try. If either of the first two suggestions work, you would have to do the same operation to any other virtual worlds you may have installed.

Run RVW in compatibility mode
  1. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Robomatter Inc\ROBOTC Development Environment\RVW or C:\Program Files (x86)\Robomatter Inc\ROBOTC Development Environment\RVW depending on whether you're on 32- or 64-bit Windows.
  2. Right-click on vex_toss_up.exe and select Properties
  3. Switch to the Compatibility tab in the Properties window that appers
  4. Check "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose "Windows 98/Windows ME" from the dropdown list
  5. Click OK to exit the properties window and save changes

Replace mono.dll
  1. Download the attached zip file and extract the contained file, mono.dll.
  2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Robomatter Inc\ROBOTC Development Environment\RVW\vex_toss_up_Data\Mono or C:\Program Files (x86)\Robomatter Inc\ROBOTC Development Environment\RVW\vex_toss_up_Data\Mono depending on whether you're on 32- or 64-bit Windows.
  3. Copy the file you extracted in step 1 to this folder, replacing the existing mono.dll.
  4. If you uninstall or upgrade the Toss Up virtual world in the future, you will likely need to remove this file manually (between uninstall and reinstall if you're upgrading).

Revert to older version of avast
While disabling avast doesn't seem to do anything, judging by forum postings, some people seemed to have solved the problem by uninstalling it and switching to a previous version.

Let me know if any of these work, and sorry for the inconvenience.

--Ryan

Attachments:
GetThreadContext_fix.zip [902.74 KiB]
Downloaded 231 times

Robot Potato Head; Virtual NXT
Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:16 pm
Rookie

I was afraid to try the mono.dll replacement, in case you guys were using a different version of Unity and ended up breaking it even more.

However, running the RVW in compatibility seems to have fixed the issue. Well, I've been running it pretty much nonstop for the past few hours and last night, and no crashes, so I'm going to go with it being fixed :biggrin:

Thanks!

Last edited by edjubuh on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

edjubuh wrote:
I was afraid to try the mono.dll replacement, in case you guys were using a different version of Unity and ended up breaking it even more.

Good call - the Toss Up world is a recent world so it worked, but it might not have with some of the older worlds (Curriculum Companion, Sack Attack, Operation Reset, Palm Island, Atlantis).

edjubuh wrote:
However, running the RVW in compatibility seems to have fixed the issue. Well, I've been running it pretty much nonstop for the past few hours and last night, and no crashes, so I'm going to go with fixed

Sweet! Thanks for following up.

--Ryan

Robot Potato Head; Virtual NXT

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]