View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Controlling Firgelli Linear Actuators 
Rookie

Post Controlling Firgelli Linear Actuators
Hi,

Have built a nxt based robot which among other things have 6 linear actuators, and downloaded the 3rd Party RobotC Drivers to use with it.

Using "firgelli-linearact.h", "mindsensors-motormux.h", "lego-ultrasound.h"

The motormux works perfect. Couldn't find an example of how to use a standard NXT sonar through a motormux but 'USreadDist(S4)' seems to work so hoping that's an ok way to do it?

But the main problem I'm having are the Linear actuators. I can't get the 'ticks' to work. No matter how many ticks i tell it to go it always go all the way in or out and stop by stalling there. I've tried the example programs as well and the same thing happens. Also it stalls _alot_. One actuator is lifting 2 NXT bricks and two motors by itself so is it simply the weight making it stall? Increased the stallcount in firgelli-linearact.h which helps somewhat.

Using RobotC v 3.60 and drivers 3.3.1. Also tried v 3.54 and drivers for 3.54 on another computer with same result.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Regards,

gunsilla

Thu May 02, 2013 12:23 pm

Post Re: Controlling Firgelli Linear Actuators
gunsilla wrote:
The motormux works perfect. Couldn't find an example of how to use a standard NXT sonar through a motormux but 'USreadDist(S4)' seems to work so hoping that's an ok way to do it?

That seems reasonable :)

Quote:
But the main problem I'm having are the Linear actuators. I can't get the 'ticks' to work. No matter how many ticks i tell it to go it always go all the way in or out and stop by stalling there. I've tried the example programs as well and the same thing happens. Also it stalls _alot_. One actuator is lifting 2 NXT bricks and two motors by itself so is it simply the weight making it stall? Increased the stallcount in firgelli-linearact.h which helps somewhat.

The trouble is that I cannot check the issue because my Firgelli LA is a pre-production one and behaves very differently from the production ones. You could just use it as a normal NXT motor. You won't have stall detection but if that doesn't work anyway, there's not much point.

= Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Fri May 03, 2013 4:18 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

I've tried using the motorencoders in the standard RobotC way as well like any other motor, but can't get that to work either unfortunatly. Read somewhere here that you have to disable PID - tried that with a command i found on this forum somewhere - but still no luck.

Only way i have of controlling the distance now is by time/ speed in x seconds, which is somewhat inaccurate.

Fri May 03, 2013 5:42 am

In the Sensor and Motor setup UI, you can untick the PID box:
Attachment:
2013-05-03_14-53-08.png
2013-05-03_14-53-08.png [ 12.35 KiB | Viewed 4474 times ]

That should disable PID for that motor.

= Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Fri May 03, 2013 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

Aha haven't noticed that option. Thanks.

motorencoder commands sill wont work though for the actuators, so looks like i'll have to do without them.

Fri May 03, 2013 9:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]