View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Programming with sensors 
Rookie

Post Programming with sensors
i was wondering if it is possible to use non-vex sensors to program with the the cortex microcontroller

Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Post Re: Programming with sensors
Yes, it is possible to program for some non-VEX sensors. For analog sensors, you can configure the port as a potentiometer or light sensor. For simple digital sensors, a digital in can be used. For more advanced sensors that require communication, you might be able to use UART,I2C, or, if neither of those work, bit bang things out using digital in and out What sensors were you thinking about using in particular? Perhaps someone here can help you out.

Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:14 pm
Rookie

thank you for the response, i was thinking of using the vex optical shaft encoder but there are some concerns with the autonomy with it. if the robot collide with another robot or object the sensor will lose its position and it wouldnt get accurate data. right now im looking at other sensors that could help me with the navigation during the autonomy section

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:04 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you are planning to use these components in a competition, I would take another look at the VEX Sack Attack Manual (found here), specifically sections <R5> to <R7>:

Quote:
<R5> Robots may be built ONLY from Official Robot Components from the VEX Robotics Design System unless otherwise specifically noted within these rules.

There may be exceptions to this, though, and I would suggest posting your question (with the specific parts you plan to use) in VEX's Q&A section for an official answer, as it is the only way to know for sure if a part is legal or not.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Yep, you can't use your own sensors in the competition unless you're in the college division.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:35 pm
Rookie

i am in the college division. is there a way to program the ultrasonic sensor to only detect the signal that you emitted? if the opposition is also using an ultrasonic sensor, wouldnt it affects the the unwanted signals.

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:54 pm

If your rangefinder is operating on the same frequency as that of the opposition's, then yes, the signals can interfere with each other. While there are ultrasoinics that operate at different frequencies, most on the market use 40 kHz. Unfortunately, I don't think that there is any easy way (past the calibration that is already done in the sensor) to differentiate between the echo from your ping, and the ping of another sensor *. What you can do however, is write a filter to weed out the erroneous values. It can be as simple as a low pass filter, or you can work up to something like a kalman filter. Take a look at the Wikipedia page on digital filters to lean more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_filter

*It's possible to build your own sensor, and modulate a unique output signal over the ping, but that's probably a lot more trouble than it's worth. It would certainly be an interesting project though, and the necessary parts are available online if you with to try.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:22 pm
Rookie

are there any sample code for the i2c port?

Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:11 pm
Rookie

I know that this is a bit late, but did you think of using a laser sensor? http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/136 or http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1132. This ultrasound uses 42KHz, https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9491.

VEX 889A and FIRST 3260

Pittsburgh Champions Aerial Assist 2014
Pittsburgh and Buckeye Finalist Ultimate Ascent 2013
Toss Up Champions and Excellence-Pittsburgh
Toss Up Champions-Northwest Maryland VRC

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]