View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
loading files into first tech challenge virtual world 
Rookie

Post loading files into first tech challenge virtual world
Hello, I recently found robot virtual world and want to use it to test autonomous programs. How do I load a customized file into the "ring it up" virtual world? Any links to videos or advice would be great!

Thanks so much for your help!

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:41 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: loading files into first tech challenge virtual world
All you should have to do is load the ROBOTC program as normal, then make sure the "Compiler Target" under the Robot menu is set to Virtual Worlds and that the "Select Virtual World to Use" option under the Menu menu is set to 'FTC Ring it UP!'.

From that point on, compiling and downloading the program will open up the Ring it Up! Virtual World instead of sending the code to the robot (until you change the compiler target again).

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?
~ Carly Rae Jepsen parody

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:31 am
Rookie

do the robots built in have some anti-encoder setup? When I run my program it doesn't pay attention to encoder counts.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm looking into this now, I believe it's a known issue with 3.5 but should be fixed soon. Let me double check to confirm this, though, and I'll get back to you with my results. Thank you for the heads up!

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, so I dug a little bit more into this and there is encoder support for the FTC Ring It Up! table on motors D and E (drive motors). There are no wrist/gripper encoders available at the time of this release.

The following code to move forward for 500 encoder counts will work because the encoders on motors D and E are active:

Code:
task main()
{
    int moveDistance = 500; //Integer used to set how many encoder counts we would like to move

while (nMotorEncoder[motorD] < moveDistance) //While the encoder value of the front right motor (D) is less than 500 (moveDistance), move forward
      {
        motor[motorD] = 50; //D and F are front and rear right drive motors (respectively)
        motor[motorF] = 50;

motor[motorE] = 50; //E and G are front and rear left drive motors (respectively)
        motor[motorG] = 50;
     }
}

However, the code to rotate the wrist back and forth won't:
Code:
task main()
{
   int moveArm = 250; //Integer used to set how many encoder counts we would like to move the wrist

while (nMotorEncoder[motorB] < moveArm) //While the encoder value of the wrist (motor B) is less than 250 (moveArm value), rotate it upwards
           {
             motor[motorB]=50;
           }

while (nMotorEncoder[motorB] > 0) //While the encoder value of the wrist is greater than 0, rotate it downwards
            {
                     motor[motorB]=-50; 
            }
}

What will happen is the wrist 'encoder' (that doesn't exist in RVW, yet) returns a value of 0 no matter where the wrist is at. Since the while loop is looking for a greater than 250, and 0 will never be greater than 250, the wrist will rotate upwards until it physically hits a restraint. It's hard to see, but the program actually keeps running inside of the first 'while' loop because it's going to keep trying to hit the 250 encoder counts mark, which it never will.

I just met you,
And this is crazy,
But here's my code now,
So fix it, maybe?

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]