View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Awfull RobotC VW v3.50 performance in VirtualBox 
Rookie

Post Awfull RobotC VW v3.50 performance in VirtualBox
Hi,

I have been using RVW v3.08 in VirtualBox for some time. Robots were not moving fast but my students found this OK for them because general programming in such kind of environment worked (we even implemented PID controller successfully).
When RobotC 3.50 was announced we decided to take a look at new version. And what we can see there is unaccptable performance degradation. VirtualWorlds menu is working very slowly. When the robot is being tried to run it does not move smoothly - 0,5 secs of moving 2 secs of delay.

I see that RVW now is supplied with Curriculum Challange Pack v2.2.3. May it lead to such behaviour? Or it is caused by "Improved Robot Virtual Worlds performance to simulate more realistic physics and robot behaviors"? Can it be fixed through configuration?

Thanks in advacne for your help.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 am

Post Re: Awfull RobotC VW v3.50 performance in VirtualBox
3D performance (including PhysX) in general is really terrible in Virtual Box. There is little to no hardware acceleration, which RVW relies very heavily on. Did you try using VMWare Player 5 (also free, runs on Linux and Windows) to see if that makes a difference?

- Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Awfull RobotC VW v3.50 performance in VirtualBox
Your performance is directly affected by the video card in your computer. Using Virtual Box, your computer is not utilizing any of your graphics power and trying to run the Virtual Worlds engine. Performance is expected to be lower than expected due to the lack of hardware acceleration with the video card.

I would recommend VMWare Player, Parallels Desktop, or VMWare Fusion and a copy of Windows to maximize your performance.

Thanks.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]