View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
RobotC Curriculum/Classroom 
Rookie

Post RobotC Curriculum/Classroom
I'm in the process of setting up my first year of teaching a Robotics class. I have all hardware and have been getting comfortable with the curriculum. I have a few questions for people that have been in my shoes at some point in time. How did you deliver the curriculum to the students? Handouts? Watch Videos as a class? Load curriculum on their computers? Did you build a Robotics Table? What materials did you use? What do you use as inserts into the table to stick electrical tape on for different challenges? Do you compiete all NXT lessons first? Any information would be appreciated.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:02 pm

Post Re: RobotC Curriculum/Classroom
My first year, I relied solely on the videos. I would have the students follow along while the video was playing on my smart board. As I've grown more comfortable with Robot C, I've relied less n the video and have done more instruction myself. However, there is not a lot of DI, the students spend most of their time trying to work through the challenges from the curriculum. As they get "stuck" I bring them together to discus the problem and explore possible solutions. Or, as the groups are working at thier own pace, I move from group to group and assist where needed. One of the biggest challenges is trying not to immediately give the students the answer; to instead try to allow them to work through the issues themselves.

I'd be more than happy to help answer any other questions that you may have. Congrats on taking the initiative to teach robotics.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Oh, and I don't have a robotics table. I have a large enough room that I just use black electrical tape on the floor.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:49 pm
Rookie

Thanks, I appreciate the help. My room is not big enough so I'm trying to figure out the best way to build a platform. Do you hand out a lot of printouts of the material - or do the kids just take enough notes to get them through. I'm sure I'll figure it out as I go and make changes, but trying to avoid as many problems as possible to start out.

Any Information you can give is appreciated

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:05 am

Here is a link to build a robotics table: http://www.techbrick.com/Lego/TechBrick ... Buiild.pdf

I do use the printouts. I print out all of the reference sections and put them in a binder for each student. They are very helpful. The biggest lesson I learned when I first started was to work very hard with the fundamentals. Make sure they are flow charting their programs and commenting their code; things like that. It will seem monotonous to them at first and they will not want to do it.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:47 pm
Rookie

Thanks - I got my table built and it looks like it should work pretty well. Do you use the RobotC Curriculum? If so, are their solutions for quizes and challenges?

Thanks again.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:25 pm

Yes, I do use the curriculum. Most of the videos for the "main" challenges take the students through how to solve it.
However, for the auxiliary challenges and the quizzes, there is no answer key. My first year, if i was stuck on a challenge, I would post the code on the forum and seek help here.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]