View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
RobotC for Cortex & Pic problems with IFI Vex 0.5 controller 
Rookie

Post RobotC for Cortex & Pic problems with IFI Vex 0.5 controller
Hello,
I upgraded to RobotC 3.08 based on advice from support but it has not been good.
There seem to some major differences in the pragma statements with no documentation.
But mainly using the IFI programming cable, I am unable to download to the robot from RobotC 3.8.
I get an error "ABORTED: Robot not responding" with an OK button. Clicking on that does nothing but keeps popping up the same error. I can not get control of the CANCEL button in the background ever.
Only way to get out is to kill RobotC through the Windows Task Manager.
COM port was set to Auto and then to COM4 but no change.

Very very disappointed and feeling the upgrade cost was not worth this trouble.

Any ideas on what to do ?

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:02 am
Rookie

Post Re: RobotC for Cortex & Pic problems with IFI Vex 0.5 contro
Perhaps you serial to USB programming cable is bad?
Make sure you have upgraded to the latest master code in your CPU, and (if youre using te vexnet upgrade kit) in your joystick. Also make sure you've upgraded to the latest robotc code on your microcontroller.
Try using the. USB A-A cable to tether directly to your robot from the computer, and seeing if that works.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:46 pm
Rookie

sumasmreq wrote:
Perhaps you serial to USB programming cable is bad?
Make sure you have upgraded to the latest master code in your CPU, and (if youre using te vexnet upgrade kit) in your joystick. Also make sure you've upgraded to the latest robotc code on your microcontroller.
Try using the. USB A-A cable to tether directly to your robot from the computer, and seeing if that works.

The cable worked fine with 2.02 - please note I am talking about IFI Vex 0.5 PIC processor. May be you are not aware of this so your suggestion of USB A-A. There is no place to plug that and Vexnet does not apply.

I do not want to upgrade my PIC with what is in the 3.08 - may be it will brick my controller.

The question is about Vex 0.5. I need someone who knows about this particular controller to respond hopefully from the RobotC team. A ticket has been opened.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Gokul,

So you upgraded ROBOTC from 2.x to 3.x and you didn't upgrade the firmware on the VEX PIC?

- Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Xander, yes that's correct. Support did not tell me that any changes were required. I am a little worried about upgrading the firmware on the IFI Vex controllers (0.5) and then find that the controller is "bricked" - too expensive for me to do trial and errror.
Right now I am using 2.02 (please note this is 2.02 and not any later version) and able to compile, download and run programs without any problems.
I was hoping 3.08 will be an improvement - but when it can't even get out of that Abort situation and requires killing the process in task manager I am not comfortable upgrading the firmware.
Thanks

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:24 pm

I don't think there is any danger of bricking the controlling this way.

- Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

I raised a ticket with RObotC on Saturday - so far no response. I will wait and see. I have read that the wrong firmware can stop the controller from working - and I have no way to go back to what was working if the firmware is messed up.
Unless tech support stands behind it and confirms that I really need a firmware update AND that nothing will happen to the controller, I can not take the risk.
Also I don't know how much support is left on the v0.5 controller - seeing RobotC has moved on to Cortex so a firmware upgrade experiment is not an option for me.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]