View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Connecting RobotC to NXT Via Bluetooth 
Rookie

Post Connecting RobotC to NXT Via Bluetooth
Hello and thank you ahead of time. We're Team 0207 from New Jersey and in an effort to practice more, we decided to connect via Bluetooth. We can connect to the Samantha Module via Field Control System using AdHoc. However, according to the FTC Rulebook, one may not use another wireless network at competitions. They also do not re-flash Samanthas.

I'm using a Fujitsu tablet with a licensed RobotC on it to try to connect. I am using an ASUS Mini USB Bluetooth Dongle for Bluetooth. Link to Dongle: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320057.

I can find our Robot perfectly through RobotC and attempt to establish a connection. It will get a few steps in until giving me a "Close and deferred connections" error. I never get a notice on the NXT or anything. The NXT is visible and uses the default password. The USB Dongle is able to connect to cellphones. The NXT always has a full battery. The NXT is no more than 6 feet from the Bluetooth.

Once I connect to Bluetooth, how would I run the programs? Through RobotC? I know that the Field Control System takes the ones already selected on the robot, but I am unsure how RobotC would handle that.

I am able to connect to the Robot straight via USB cord.

Is there somewhere I'm going wrong? Can you offer any troubleshooting?

Thank you so much. We really appreciate any and all help.

-Team0207

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:25 pm
Rookie

Post Re: Connecting RobotC to NXT Via Bluetooth
Hello Team0207,

You might be OK. When I connect to my NXT via Bluetooth, the last message I see after a successful connection is "Deferred close connections to NXT brick." I don't know what that really means, but it indicates a successful connection. I then close the window and click "Compile and Download Program" under the Robot menu and that successfully downloads my program into the NXT and brings up the debugger. Then you click "Start" in the debugger window and it runs your program.

Hope this helps.

John

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:59 pm
Rookie

I am able to pair my laptop and NXT thru BlueTooth. I am able to click on "Robot -> NXT Brick -> Poll NXT Brick" and see values changing, if I push the robot. But, when I do "Robot -> Compile and Download Program", I am getting the error on PC:

Mismatch between robot controller typ ('BAD') and platform setting on the PC ('NXT'). Configure the correct platform type and try again.

and on the brick, I see:

PgmCtn: 00000000
Types: 0

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:35 pm
Guru

What version of RobotC are you using? Make sure you have the NXT version, not VEX or Arduino. Did you flash the NXT brick with the matching firmware?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:52 pm
Rookie

I am using latest RobotC (Programming Software for LEGO MINDSTORMS and MINDSTORMS with TETRIX) - Version 3.51 (F/W: 9.52) - Build Date: Sep 20, 2012.

I did flash the brick with firmware v9.52.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:10 pm
Rookie

My initial post was with earlier version RobotC. But, after downloading the latest version, I could download to the brick using BlueTooth. So, it appears that there is some issue with the earlier version with bluetooth.

Thanks for the help.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]