View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Joystick dialog coexist with the NXT Remote LCD screen 
Guru

Post Joystick dialog coexist with the NXT Remote LCD screen
If I open the NXT remote LCD screen dialog, it always goes away when the I open the joystick dialog. I could imagine an explanation for this, such as the Bluetooth bandwidth cannot support both simultaneously. But it is really a pain because I need the joystick dialog in order to tele operate the robot but I also need to see the LCD screen remotely on what's going on without chasing down the running robot. I could direct the output to the debug stream but again, once the joystick dialog is opened, the debug stream goes away too. Is there any other alternatives? Or can the communication be optimized to accommodate both?

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:32 pm
Expert

Post Re: Joystick dialog coexist with the NXT Remote LCD screen
MHTS, it may be specific to your setup as I have no problem running both at the same time.
I'm running ROBOTC v3.04 with the latest firmware flashed and tested both VW and with a live connection (over usb) with both joystick windows (simple & FTC).

Just for grins, have you tried clearing out the registry values in the IDE to see if that resolves the issue?
I've been seeing plenty of glitches with the windows since upgrading to 3.x.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:19 pm
Guru

Hmm, interesting. I have upgraded to the latest 3.04 and the corresponding firmware as well. I will try clearing the registry tonight and see if it helps. Also, the debug windows pop-up menu sometimes has all the items grayed out so I can't select anything. I ususally have to quit the IDE and restart it in order to get the menu back. Sometimes I have to do a few other random things to get it back. So far, I haven't spent much time in figuring out what is the repro scenario that for sure repros it. So I decided to post this issue and see if anybody knows about it.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:31 pm
Guru

l0jec wrote:
I'm running ROBOTC v3.04 with the latest firmware flashed and tested both VW and with a live connection (over usb) with both joystick windows (simple & FTC).

Oh, I re-read your post and noticed I missed your above statement that you were connecting over USB. I am connecting over Bluetooth. I know USB will allow both from last year. But I never get both to come up simultaneously over Bluetooth. That's why I explained it away with the bandwidth issue. But again, it's a pain because when the robot is running, I can't tether it with a USB cable. It may work with the Samantha WiFi but I am testing the code with my little Lego NXT robot (a three-wheeler: 2 driving wheels with a third swerval back wheel) instead of the FTC robot so I don't have a Samantha module for this little robot. So Bluetooth is my only choice.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:46 pm
Expert

You may be correct about there being a difference between the connection types, but I'm nearly 100% absolutely completely positive that we were running over bluetooth at our meeting today as well with both windows open.
I did not have a bluetooth dongle here at home to confirm though which is why I only retested with USB. If there is an issue, it would affect us as well as we have a default habit of always running with that remote NXT window open. It's just too darn useful!

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:22 pm
Guru

I now suspect that the remote LCD screen window wasn't really going away but it got moved off screen when I opened the joystick window because there was one time that the LCD screen window was off screen but the top edge of the window was still visible, so I was able to drag it back up. It looks like when opening these windows, RobotC IDE places them randomly because my laptop has a resolution of 1366x768 and I never moved the windows off screen. So if the previous positions were really saved in the registry then why would they not show up at the position I had them last? Sometimes, the windows do show up at their last position but sometimes they do not. I know that because I always keep my LCD window to the lower right corner of my screen and the joystick to the upper right corner. So I can still see most of the code. But when starting up RobotC IDE, they sometimes show up at different positions and I had to re-position them.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:01 pm
Expert

Seems a LOT of folks are running into this issue. See this thread here: http://www.robotc.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3562.

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]