View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Editing Robot in Virtual World 
Rookie

Post Editing Robot in Virtual World
I'm relatively new to programming and virtual world and I'm not quite sure how to add sensors amd motors to the virtual robot. I want to make a 4 wheel drive base. Make it so that the omniwheels have something powering them.

Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Editing Robot in Virtual World
Editing of the robot is not yet available, but that's something that we definitely want users to be able to do eventually. Along with creating their own robot, the ability to create your own world to share with others is something that we hope to get. We're making large strides in the development with our small team and we hope to get these features out to you as soon as we can.

Robotc.net| Robomatter Store | Robotics Academy | CS2N

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:16 am
Guru

If we cannot edit the robot to reflect the design of our own FTC robot, what can we do with the Virtual World regarding testing our autonomous code that involves using many sensors (including IR seeker, gyro, accelerometer etc.)? If we cannot test our autonomous code with the Virtual World, what else can we do regarding the FTC competition?

Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:33 pm
Rookie

The FTC RVW is a good place to learn the basics of programming without having to worry about damaging a real robot, worrying about batteries, or a single person "hogging the robot."

With the RVW, everyone can learn to program the robot at their own pace, so that everyone on the team gets some programming time. This means later in the project, you'll have more people on your team that can help debug code and understand whats going on.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

That's the only usage scenario I can think of. Even with that scenario, the training of new students using RobotC is limited to whatever default configuration the robot provides. They can only learn and experiment with basic movement. For students that are beyond the level of basic movement, experimenting with using different sensors to achieve autonomous drive is the next step and it is currently impossible using the Virtual World. For example, I would like to teach them applying PID control to do line following or IR seeking.

I think the Virtual World has a lot of potentials when it finally allows the user to create their own robot design. I am just trying to figure out what I can explore with this powerful tool with the current limitations. I am looking forward to the next version of Virtual World. In the meantime, is it possible to provide a "typical" BowledOver robot that has some sensors that would be useful to test some autonomous strategies? I would suggest a robot with the following sensors: IR seeker, encoders on the left and right tetrix wheels, a gyro for accurately determining the turn.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:10 pm
Rookie

There are encoders on the left and right TETRIX wheels and a light sensor that would allow you to teach line following. There is also a compass sensor you could use to teach the concepts of PID, although only the concepts, since it would not work exactly like a gyro.

Thanks for your thoughts on the RVW. Your suggestions are very helpful, and personally I am also very excited about what this technology can offer.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Guru

Talking about suggestions, you probably already have a variation in your plan but the kids would love it if the Virtual World is similar to one of those networked world games where one person creates a world on their machine and multiple people can enter the world with their own robots so they can do a virtual competition. Not only the users can design their own robots, they can also design the worlds.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:38 pm
Rookie

Do you think it will be a possibility to make a connection between a CAD model (I think the majority of the FTC teams are using the Creo Elements/pro, or pro/ENGINEER, design software) of our robot with the RobotC Virtual Worlds? That would be so immensely helpful to our team to test out a bunch of different designs without having to spend thousands of dollars.

Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:31 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Being able to import designs from CAD software is something we'd like as well. It makes our job easier too! There a lot of hurdles to getting it to work in a robust way though, not the least of which is figuring out a way to translate CAD drawings into game engine models.

We have a lot of cool technology in the pipeline for RVW, so stay tuned!

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]