View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Error Downloading Firmware 
Rookie

Post Error Downloading Firmware
I have tried to download the firmware from ROBOTC 3.0 from two different PC's with Windows 7 my NXT Brick, but I get the same error message: ROBOTC INTEGRATED DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT HAS STOPPED WORKING. I'm not upgrading to 3.0- it's the first time I've installed it. (See attached error message). Any ideas? I couldn't find any similar error posts in the Forum, and I know 3.0 is pretty new. Thanks!

Manhattan Robotics (Rookie Team)

Attachments:
error downloading firmware.jpg
error downloading firmware.jpg [ 362.14 KiB | Viewed 6182 times ]
Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:44 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Error Downloading Firmware
This can sometimes happen if you don't have the NXT USB Drivers installed before using ROBOTC. You can download the drivers from the www.robotc.net/ftc/ website.

I'll take a look at why ROBOTC is crashing though in this case... It should be returning a message instead.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:58 pm
Rookie

Thanks so much for your help. I did verify that I installed the USB NXT drivers (64 bit for my Wondows 7 home premium O/S) (see attached) and I also tried to update them but it verified I had the right version. When I attach the NXT brick to my USB port and hit Robot -> Download firmware, I still get the same Error (see attached). I have tried this on two different Windows 7 PC's. See attached screenshots. Thanks!!

Attachments:
ROBOTC C STOP WORKING.JPG
ROBOTC C STOP WORKING.JPG [ 168.21 KiB | Viewed 6142 times ]
usb drivers installed.JPG
usb drivers installed.JPG [ 93.1 KiB | Viewed 6142 times ]
Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:39 pm
Rookie

I saw this same exact problem on Windows 7 at the weekend. Brand new installation, though the PC in question did have NXT-G previously. We haven't yet managed to get the drivers to install, gets stuck halfway with an error writing to AppData. Without the driver install RobotC simply crashes when entering the firmware download menu option.

On a subsequent PC, Windows Vista, I did manage to install RobotC and the drivers and all was well, but without the driver update that one also crashed. That PC also previously ran NXT-G (thus it would talk USB to the NXT via the - presumably older - Fantom drivers).

One thing we did notice (on both PC's) was that the EULA for the USB Drivers was completely blank, but clicking ACCEPT did still move the install along to the next stage. I guess that means we are agreeing to NOTHING?

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:14 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The EULA for the NXT drivers are ones released by NI. We have informed them of the "blank EULA" issue.

ROBOTC uses the National Instruments developed drivers to communicate with the NXT. 3.02 should address the "crashing" issues regarded to ROBOTC trying to call functions in the "Fantom.lib" files that didn't exist in old versions.

If you're still having the crashing issue after upgrading to 3.02, please contact us at support@robotc.net.

Thanks!

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:25 am
Rookie

Thanks - As of 9-13-11, I can only access ROBOTC 3.01 on http://www.robotc.net/ftc/. As soon as 3.02 comes out I will try it. I did try it with yet a 3rd PC (running a 32-bit version of Windows 7 instead of 64-bit) and had a very similar error for the 3rd time. Drivers were definitely installed, so I think the issue is with ROBOTC. Thanks!

Manhattan Robotics (Rookie Team)

Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:39 pm
Rookie

I similarly had about 7 laptops today that did the exact same thing; i submitted a ticket with this information:

RobotC software is crashing when we try to either download the firmware, or connect to the NXT using "Communication Link Setup". We are running 64 bit Windows 7 computers, and the exact same thing has happened on 7 laptops. The laptops are Dell Latitude E6400.

We downloaded the RobotC 3.01 installer, and the 64 bit NXT Mindstorms drivers. We installed the drivers first, then RobotC 3.01.

The NXT drivers appears appear to be working fine, because the Device Manager shows the NXT as being connected with no problems.

We tried running RobotC as an administrator.

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:32 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The links are being updated soon, but here's the EXE:

http://www.robotc.net/files/ROBOTCforMINDSTORMS_302.exe

Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:51 pm
Rookie

Thanks, I have installed ROBOTC 3.02, and Re-installed NXT USB drivers for Windows 64 bit (and also 32 bit for another PC). Both are Windows 7. When I try to download Firmware onto my NXT brick I get the "ROBOTC was unable to communicate using Fantom.dll...." error. I will send you an email with screenshots. I subitted a ticket as well. Thanks!

Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:22 pm
Rookie

I have the exact same problem. I downloaded 3.02 and the "updated" drivers after having uninstalled the previous set of drivers and robotC 3.01. Installed the drivers and the new robotC. The new version gives the two errors shown below

Attachments:
error4.png
error4.png [ 10.63 KiB | Viewed 6043 times ]
error3.png
error3.png [ 8.25 KiB | Viewed 6043 times ]
Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:15 pm
Rookie

I resolved the problem by uninstalling the latest x64 USB driver. Then I installed the FANTOM drivers from the NXT-G 2.0 retail CD. RobotC V3.02 could then talk to the brick (firmware and program download worked). I then uninstalled that older driver and repeated the install of the latest x64 driver. After that everything worked.

It seems to me that there is something that the old drivers did that the latest one doesn't. If the latest x64 USB Fantom driver is installed on a virgin machine it doesn't seem to work.

Ron.

Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:04 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

We'll be confirming this work around today and will post the required old Fantom drivers with instructions if we can reproduce this workaround.

We are also working with National Instruments (creators of the NXT USB driver "Fantom") to solve this issue in the future.

LabVIEW Education users are not seeing this issue because they install the old driver with their primary LavVIEW installation and then upgrade the Fantom driver when you install the FTC module for LabVIEW.

Thanks Ron for your help in this issue!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:48 am
Rookie

Thanks Ron & Tim - Ilook forward to your reply. FYI I have had the same issue installing both the 32-bit drivers on the students' PCs as well as the 64-bit on my own PC. I tried to uninstall the new drivers and then download older drivers as well (Good idea Ron!) from this page http://mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/suppor ... spx#Driver since I don't have a disc handy but when installing them I received an error that newer drivers had been installed (though I tried to uninstall them) and it would not install the old ones.

Manhattan Robotics (rookie team)

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:39 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can follow these directions to solve this issue:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3469

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

UPDATE (9/19): We have a new installer that should solve all of these issues. Please download the new installer here. (Works for both 32/64bit with the same installer)

www.robotc.net/files/NXT_USB_Driver_120.zip

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]