View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Hello! 
Rookie

Post Hello!
Heya! I don't know where to say hello so sorry if I put this in the wrong place.

I'm new to ROBOTC but not to programming. I'm testing out the beta release for the Lego Mindstorms for a school class. I run Ubuntu Linux on my netbook which is my main computer, but not my only one, and I was wondering if anyone knows whether the ROBOTC works on WINE? That's the windows emulator for Linux by the way.

As for programming I am pretty used to the basic elements of it so I should learn ROBOTC easily. I know Python, Bash Shell Scripting, and Batch File Scripting very well. If you want to get started on any of these programming languages I can help you out!

Cheers,
Neuromancer

“Why shouldn't we give our teachers a license to obtain software, all software, any software, for nothing? Does anyone demand a licensing fee, each time a child is taught the alphabet?” - William Gibson

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:16 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Hello!
Hey Neuromancer!

I'm not a linux expert, but I remember reading on the forums about someone who managed to get ROBOTC working with WINE. Though I'm unsure how stable it was.

I just ran a search and found these threads:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1174&p=5479&hilit=wine#p5479
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=761&p=3414&hilit=wine#p3414

I hope that can point you to the right direction. Also, welcome to the forums :)

Robotc.net| Robomatter Store | Robotics Academy | CS2N

Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:02 am
Rookie

Post Re: Hello!
Thanks! I'll check them out because I've been having trouble getting RobotC to work on WINE. I settled for Not eXactly C but I don't know if I can have two sets of firmware on the same brick or not. I doubt it. Not to mention my teacher just ordered RobotC for me so its too late to switch over to NXC. In my exploring on how to get RobotC on Ubuntu I found another program that lets you write in a Python-like language. That'd be perfect for me but I can't seem to get it to run with the newer versions of Python. I just want RobotC on my home and netbook computers so I can write code at home and on the go, but I can't bring the robot home so I guess I won't be able to test the programs till the weekend's over.

Anyways, I ramble. :programmer: Thanks for the info.

“Why shouldn't we give our teachers a license to obtain software, all software, any software, for nothing? Does anyone demand a licensing fee, each time a child is taught the alphabet?” - William Gibson

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]