View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
CD Updates 
Rookie

Post CD Updates
I ordered a CD version from the Lego Education web site last week. My guess is that is version 1.0. Is it possible to update this to version 1.02? If not, then I want either a refund or an internet download license for free because that's $50 I wasted on a CD that is out of date before I even receive it.

Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: CD Updates
alex.forencich wrote:
I ordered a CD version from the Lego Education web site last week. My guess is that is version 1.0. Is it possible to update this to version 1.02? If not, then I want either a refund or an internet download license for free because that's $50 I wasted on a CD that is out of date before I even receive it.

Hi Alex,

I understand your concern, but don't worry! What's great about the ROBOTC softare is that when you order a CD, you receive a License ID and Password. With that being said, when you install v1.0 (and register/activate it using your ID and password), and then download v1.02, it will recognize that you have already bought ROBOTC. This allows you to have updates such as v1.02 without having to buy another CD. :)

ROBOTC will continually be tested, reviewed, revised, and released to the public with new updates. We will not let you down by not giving you access to these updates!

Sorry for the confusion, I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

----------------------------
Also! After you activate v1.0, please don't forget to uninstall it before installing v1.02. This is so that you: 1) Have an activation version on your computer, and 2) the new version doesn't conflict with the old version.

Robotc.net| Robomatter Store | Robotics Academy | CS2N

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:27 am
Rookie

OK, I see that. But I don't quite understand the whole licensing system. Adobe allows you to activate photoshop cs2 on two different computers, as well as transfer an activation to a different computer. AlcoholSoft allows activation for a single computer, but it is transferrable. Is this possible for RobotC? If it isn't I will be forced to run it in a virtual machine and never actually activate it. I paid $50 for it, so I should be able to use it on my desktop and my laptop, as well as transfer it to my new laptop which I'm thinking about getting in a few months. It is very simple to create a virtual machine that connects to a shared drive, then perform a restore snapshot from before the software was first run when the trial period runs out. I would rather not have to do this, but I will if the license is permanently locked to a single computer.

Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Robotc.net| Robomatter Store | Robotics Academy | CS2N

Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:10 pm
Rookie

Well, what is the procedure for doing so? Simply activate the software on another computer?

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:09 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Our licensing system does not allow for "Deactivation" for a computer.

To get around this issue, we have liberally given a number of activations for a single account. The license ID and password you were given at time of purchase will unlock a certain number of "unique" computers. If you "reactivate" on the same computer, such as the case when upgrading your version of RobotC, this does not count against your number of "unique" computers.

If you are using a virtual machines with RobotC, I would recommend you make a base image(snapshot) after you have installed and activated RobotC. Each virtual machine has it's own "unique" computer code, because it's virtual hardware is different from your own computer's physical hardware, so activating on a number of virtual machines will use up your number of activations.

If you have an issue with the number of activations, then I would recommend you contact me via e-mail (tfriez at rec.ri.cmu.edu) and we can see if we can accommodate your scenario of usage with RobotC.

Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:54 am
Rookie

What happens if RAM is added/removed, new graphics card installed, extra hard drive, c: partition resized/format changed, etc? Does this invalidate the activation?

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

As of right now, any significant hardware/software change (motherboard, hard drive, reinstall windows, etc) will cause the need for a new computerID to be generated and another activation to be debited from your license.

We are currently working on making this a little more liberal for future releases without needing to generate all new license information, but until this time we feel our generous number of activations should cover all normal use.

Should you feel you need more activations than alloted, please contact us as we will evaluate each customers need on a case-by-case basis.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:10 pm
Expert

Post Difference between CDROM and downloaded versions?
Hi,

1. is there difference between downloaded RobotC and CD-Rom version? I mean no difference between the software but CD-Rom might come with more documentation (if they exist).

2. In case I would decide for some reason in favor of the CD-Rom version, and later I can see a newer version on the web page to download is there a way to use the CD-Rom activation method on the downloaded version as well?

3. Does the aforementioned "number of re-activations" limit to the version upgrades, too?

Thanks,
Laszlo

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:47 am
Expert

Post Re: Difference between CDROM and downloaded versions?
elemes wrote:
is there difference between downloaded RobotC and CD-Rom version?

some response on this question?

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:26 am

There is really no difference, other than one is from a cd and contains the activation code on the package and the other is downloaded and the activation code is given to you.

Hope this helps
Scott B-)

My Robot Projects:
http://www.freewebs.com/robotprojects/

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Expert

Post cd vs dl
Thanks, in that case I prefer the online purchase (save Lexan, save environment :-)

Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]