View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Maps 
Rookie

Post Maps
Will there be a map editor to create custom maps?

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:44 pm
Rookie

Post Re: Maps
What kind of maps would you like to create?

Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Simple maps with obstacles, height changes, and a custom size of map. A map editor could be useful for custom areas that people are programming a bot for, and don't want to go through the process of uploading a new source code after every new feature to their code. I have considered making a robotC sim, but didn't want to take the time right then. May still sometime for the community, but not for sure.

Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:03 pm

I second the map editor thing. This would allow teachers to create custom maps with added challenges. I think being able to create custom practice table setups would be great. The trouble is that it needs to be quite easy to use and not resemble some kind of CAD interface. A 2D map creator for tables would suffice, at least in the beginning.

- Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:01 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

I agree as well. I would like to be able to test my code out. I use the player/stage/gazebo combination to do this for real robots. It would be nice to have a similar manner about creating maps. It does require some code to create maps in stage, but it isn't very difficult. In gazebo, however, it is very tedious. I don't like the method of creating environments in gazebo... But's that's a different topic. In the demo, I haven't figured out a way to map yet. I made a very simple attempt in RobotC for mindstorms, but can't do file access in this version.

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:33 pm
Rookie

Ah, this would be soooo nice, like if you could use Unrealed, or Unity(which is what they are using btw, lol). But it looks great!

Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:01 pm
Rookie

The map editor would be useful in my teaching too.
I teach using Lego’s NXT sets. We use custom scenario boards we have made up. Class sizes vary, and we don’t always have enough kits to go around. Being able to simulate our custom boards so our students were able to practice in the simulation would be really useful. We don’t have enough kits to enable two classes to run at the same time. Being able to simulate the boards would mean that we could consider the possibility to run two classes in the same timetable slot, one in simulation, one with the real kits. I don’t know if we would do that, but it would have been useful when we had a timetable problem the year before last.
We have limited time for construction of maps like this. The editor would need to be simple & easy to use. A 2-D editor would be sufficient for almost all of our use.

Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:21 pm
Novice

A map editor that you didn't have to use CAD software with would be good. However, (and I think I speak for many VRC teams) I would also like to see a way to import .STEP files (or similar format) for both the robot and the map - that way, VRC programmers can start detailed autonomous coding before the robot is even finished.

VRC Team 2190

Twitter: @RoboDesigners

Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

I don't know, I see that .step is a common file, but I would think files from Blender would be a bit nice-er because its free. Not for me to say though... Anywho, what 3-D CAD software would you recommend? Oh, hehe, you don't want to use a CAD software...my mistake. :wink: I am in a FTC group and PRO-E is just a bit too complicated. I have been using blender now for around...lets see... three weeks(not very long :wink: ) now, and its very nice. If only you could get the pieces out of pro-e in a compatible format...

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:11 am
Novice

Michael120 wrote:
Anywho, what 3-D CAD software would you recommend? Oh, hehe, you don't want to use a CAD software...my mistake. :wink:

Don't get me wrong - I love CAD software! (at times, that is... :breakcomputer:) I'd recommend Inventor (free if you're a student), but that's just a matter of preference on my part...

Reiterating my original point, I think that it would be good to have support for both importing a common 3D file (i.e. *.STEP), and a built-in map editor for people who don't know CAD, or who simply don't want to spend the time.

VRC Team 2190

Twitter: @RoboDesigners

Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Ah, yes, I get it now. You could import your own robot/model or even your own terrain into the editor, and the "edit" your map to your liking. A very good Idea...

I agree completely.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]