View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
After Firmware - USB not Recognized 
Rookie

Post After Firmware - USB not Recognized
I have just installed RobotC 2.30 (8.30) on a laptop with Windows 7. Once the software opend I followed the initial instructions to update the firware.
MasterCPU Firmware - Sucessfull
VEXnet Joystick Firware - Successfull but the Cortex Interface turned off and windows returned an error that the USB was no longer recognized. Now if the Cortex is either plugged into the computer through the USB or powered up by battery, the 3 power LEDs flash and then turn off. I have no other response from the cortex. This has now happened twice... to two seperate Cortex interfaces. I am afraid of trying this with any more interfaces. I have tried to plug in these interfaces to another computer but recieved the same response. USB Device not recognized. They seem to now be dead.

First: how can I get them to operate again
Second: why did this happen
Third: how do I keep this from happening again

Please Help

Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:43 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: After Firmware - USB not Recognized
Hi Hanson,

First, follow these steps to redownload the Master CPU Firmware to the Cortex:
- Start with the Cortex turned OFF (but with a battery connected).
- Push and hold Config button in on the Cortex.
- Attach the USB cable between the PC and Cortex.
- Wait for the Robot, VEXnet and Game lights to blink green.
- Release Config button.
- Turn the Cortex ON.
- Then in ROBOTC, click "Robot", "Download Firmware", "Master CPU Firmware", "Standard File".
Once the Master CPU Firmware successfully downloads, download the ROBOTC Firmware to the Cortex.

Second: It sounds like this happened because you attempted to download the VEXnet Joystick Firmware to the Cortex. The VEXnet Joystick Firmware is intended for the VEXnet Joysticks: http://robomatter.com/images/ifi/vexnet-joystick.jpg

Third: If that was the case, you can avoid this problem by only downloading the Master CPU Firmware and ROBOTC firmware to the Cortex, and VEXnet Joystick Firmware to the VEXnet Joysticks.

Also, we've got highly detailed tutorial videos that will show you the correct procedure for configuring the Cortex here: http://www.robotc.net/support/cortex/#getting-started-with-the-vex

Hope that helps!

Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:11 am
Rookie

JBFLOT, Im trying to get in contact with you, So , Im new to the forum, I was on the webinar yesterday, and Robin was at my school

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:40 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm here - feel free to post your questions. :)

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:42 am
Rookie

jbflot wrote:
Hi Hanson,

First, follow these steps to redownload the Master CPU Firmware to the Cortex:
- Start with the Cortex turned OFF (but with a battery connected).
- Push and hold Config button in on the Cortex.
- Attach the USB cable between the PC and Cortex.
- Wait for the Robot, VEXnet and Game lights to blink green.
- Release Config button.
- Turn the Cortex ON.
- Then in ROBOTC, click "Robot", "Download Firmware", "Master CPU Firmware", "Standard File".
Once the Master CPU Firmware successfully downloads, download the ROBOTC Firmware to the Cortex.

Second: It sounds like this happened because you attempted to download the VEXnet Joystick Firmware to the Cortex. The VEXnet Joystick Firmware is intended for the VEXnet Joysticks: http://robomatter.com/images/ifi/vexnet-joystick.jpg

Third: If that was the case, you can avoid this problem by only downloading the Master CPU Firmware and ROBOTC firmware to the Cortex, and VEXnet Joystick Firmware to the VEXnet Joysticks.

Also, we've got highly detailed tutorial videos that will show you the correct procedure for configuring the Cortex here: http://www.robotc.net/support/cortex/#getting-started-with-the-vex

Hope that helps!

I tried this with my new laptop (Windows 7 64 bit) and every time I got to the end of download of the master firmware the system showed a popup to wait while the cortex rebooted but I never got the successful install. I tried to do this on my desktop (xp 32 bit) and I got a message unable to communicate with the robot. Finally I tried this with an older laptop running xp 32 bit and I was successful. I want to use my new laptop running Windows 7 but after trying to d/l the firmware about 10 times I moved to an older pc. does robot C work with windows 7? Why could I not download the robotc Firmware after successfully downloading the master firmware(on the windows 7 pc) ? I keep getting cannot communicate with robot or a robot stuck in bootloader mode message. I'd like to know how to download the master code in windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks Kb

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]