View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Sub versus Void 
Rookie

Post Sub versus Void
I have limited experience with C but I'm trying to debug a problem with a motor encoder subroutine that works fine when I execute it by itself, but is not working within a larger program... my questions is in the use of SUB versus VOID for creating a subroutine.. and if I'm using this incorrectly (I have been using the SUB statement)

sub subname()
{
// sub statements (return statement not required)
}

void subname()
{
// statements
}

Do both of the above do the same thing?.. in particular I'm wondering if both are true subroutines or if the VOID simply copies the code 'in-line' each time the void reference appears in the main program. Can I use the 'sub' keyword to create a subroutine, or is this non-standard use of the sub keyword (in C tutorials I see on-line none use the sub keyword, so maybe I am using this incorrectly)

Should both be able to work fine for subroutine use.?

dave

Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Creator
Creator

I'm suprised that you were able to find it. It's an undocumented legacy from a very early version of ROBOTC. I've just added a warning message to the compiler when it is used. IT should behave exactly as a "void" function.

The preferred (and 'C' compliant) method is to use a function definition with return type "void".

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]