View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
NXT - PC Bluetooth communication, pairing failing. 
Rookie

Post NXT - PC Bluetooth communication, pairing failing.
Hi,
I am new to NXT and trying to setup BT between PC and NXT and spent a lot of time without result.
----
PC OS: Windows vista.
RobotC version: 1.10
BT device on PC: broadcom driver, out - com6, in - com7.
NXT and PC seem to recognize each other.
My NXT brick is listed in the section 'NXT bricks reachable via Bluetooth wireless'.
However, when I click select, after some time, it gives an error:
NXT brick could not be found. It does not ask me for any passkey either on the RobotC or on the NXT brick.
It seems unable to pair NXT brick and the PC. The messages in the message log are:
Searching for any NXT bricks in the boot mode.
Searching for any NXT bricks connected via USB,
Searching for any NXT bricks connected via Bluetooth.
Closing any connections to NXT brick.
Creating BT pairing for PC and NXT brick.

Any ideas please ?
- mmk

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:55 am

Are you using the Broadcom software to do the pairing between the NXT and the PC, or are you using the Windows Bluetooth Devices manager?

Another thing to try is to remove all pairing from the PC and NXT and let Robot C create the connection. If you go to the link setup there is a button that says remove all pairing. Do a search for the NXT, then remove the pairing if possible, research for the NXT and try to connect afterwards.

Let me know if this helps
Scott B-)

My Robot Projects:
http://www.freewebs.com/robotprojects/

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Post Having same prob with pairing, worked before FW download
I am having the same problem with bluetooth pairing. In my case the very first time I used RobotC it paired OK. That time it I noticed the NXT brick asked me to input a passkey.

I could not download code because I had not updated the firmware yet to the RobotC FW. I did this using the USB cable. After that the pairing did not work and I had the same problem noted in this post. Now it no longer asks me to input a passkey.

In my enviroment I am running Vista, using a Kensington USB/Bluetooth adapter and using the bluetooth app in control panel to configure the connection (the result is the same if I pair with windows and then try to use robotC to connect or remove the pairing in windows and try to use RobotC to pair; in both cases it fails the same way).

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:18 pm

I have a few things for you to try, see if they help.

Make sure that you have the RobotC Firmware installed and its the newest one that comes with the software. Older firmware versions wont work properly.

When connecting to the NXT, try using the default passkey of 1234

Also, If bluetooth finds the NXT but cannot connect, make sure to click the remove all pairing button and then search for NXT's again, sometimes old handshakes will cause problems.

Let me know if these help, if not we can try something else.
Good luck!

Scott B-)

My Robot Projects:

Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

I am running the latest FW with RobotC: NXT0723.rfw (reported as 7.23 on the NXT)

I have already tried the remove all pairing suggestion before trying to connect. The result is the same (still fails).

As for entering in the default password "1234", I think that is the problem. When RobotC tries to pair it gives me a dialog box saying to hit the orange button on the NXT to input the password but the NXT does not prompt for a password, there is no activity at all. I have tried selecting on the NXT "Use Default Pswd" during this phase and pairing still fails.

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:23 pm
Rookie

Post NXT BT failure
I have got the same problem as tobor describes and spend a lot of time without success. Did you find a way in the meantime?
Thanks, bbb

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:12 am
Creator
Creator

Can you get BT pairing to work with the NXT-G software? Please indicate this in future posts as it indicates whether this is a ROBOTC problem or just another instance of some of the NXT-G problems with BT.

ROBOTC uses the same Fantom.dll mid-level Bluetooth device driver as NXT-G software. If you can successfully get BT connections to work with NXT-G then it should also work with ROBOTC.

I believe there are problems with the NXT-G BT chip which impact all NXT solutions (NXT-G, ROBOTC, Robolab, etc) for initially establishing BT connections. The internal BT chip non-volatile memory gets corrupted. The best way to try to recover is as follows:
1. Manually remove any BT paired connections on Windows. Use the BT Control Panel to do this. Ensure that you do a reboot of Windows.
2. Use the on-brick NXT menu to reset the BT chip to factory reset. This is a menu command under the BT menu in the ROBOTC firmware. It is not available with the standard NXT-G firmware. Power cycle the NXT.
3. Reload the NXT firmware
4. Try to establish connection again.

Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:25 pm
Rookie

First, there is (now, see below) also no pairing using NXT-G, implicating a principle problem of the BT chip of the brick (my one as well as many others with the same problem).

Using NXT-G NTX-window on the PC shows the brick including its unique name "available", however, trying "verbinden (in German)" i.e. "connecting" fails, mostly with the hint: "key, resp. password could not be confirmed", even if the brick had ask for (brick does not every time).
The same occurs after running the procedure you recommended.

Using robotc after the reset you recommended results in displaying the "NXT brick selection window" in the "NXT ... reachable window area" the brick by its number, but without its name. Trying "select" results in the error message: "Remember you need to push the orange button ...", whereas the brick never asks me to do so or to enter the password.
At the end "No bricks could be opened" will be displayed.

After running the reset as you recommended but with robotc firmware nxt0723.rfw instead of lego nxt 1.03 robotc recognized the name of the brick, but pairing failed as it did before.

Also the third and the fourth way I tried failed: Using BT hardware manager from vista results in recognizing the brick and asking for the main key, whereas connections fails although two active com-connections "in and out" are (sometimes) displayed.
The other way round, starting connection via the BT menu of the brick results in the same error.

Above I wrote "now, see below": for the very first time we tried to connect via BT using a msi dongle and an XT PC connection was successful. However, we disconnected (we did not respect this would have been the last connection) and never had success again.

Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:48 pm
Rookie

Dick, have you got another idea, we can try?

Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:58 pm
Rookie

Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:55 am
Rookie

Post Re: NXT - PC Bluetooth communication, pairing failing.
hi everybody!!! i have a belkin bluetooth dongle class 1. i had the same problem you guys have but following Dick Swan i could solve the problem. instead of remove the pairings windows had made i just reinstalled everything and let robotc to make the pairing with Link Setup. i did this in a windows xp sp2 computer and with robotc 1.40. i think this can be the sollution to your problem. post back if you have any question.

thank you

Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:45 pm

Post Re: NXT - PC Bluetooth communication, pairing failing.
Thanks for your input!

Scott B-)

My Robot Projects:

Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]