View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Chapter on Sensors is now open 

Post Chapter on Sensors is now open
The chapter on Sensors is now open. Don't forget also, we have a live class today (6/30) at 1:00 EDT. Thanks,

Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:51 am

Post Re: Chapter on Sensors is now open
One thing I forgot to mention is that you need to download the new VEX IQ Challenge Pack to complete the chapter on sensors. You can download it here:
http://www.cs2n.org/activities/robot-virtual-worlds/vex-iq-challenge-pack

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:07 pm
Rookie

I am still having issues installing the challenge pack for sensors. When the download is complete and I click on the executable, a pop up window asks me if I want to allow the program to make changes to mt hard drive. I select yes, the window disappears and n othing happens. I've tried rebooting the computer and opening the graphical program and still have the sensors fades out. As I stated rearlier today, I am using win 8.1, I have a 1 TB hard drive and 12 G's of ram. Any ideas would be welcome. I'm about to pull out what little hair I have left on my head.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:46 pm
Rookie

I have solved my issue with win 8.1. No, I did not throw it out the window, but it was close. I copied the installation file to the desktop and ran it from there. It installed with n o problem. Not sure why but then again it is windows. :D I recently upgraded my computer from a 11 year old Toshiba running XP to my new Toshiba running Win 8.1. A new learning experience. In summery, if you have problems installing software try to copy it to the desktop and install from there.

Keep up the excellent lectures and challenges.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks, glad to hear things are working for you know. I'll also make sure the developers see your post. Thanks again,

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:10 pm
Rookie

How do I get to the Sensors chapter?
All I get is 'you can't enroll yourself'.
I also can't find the video of the session.

Thanks- this course is a great resource for me.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Hello,

Did you pass the chapter test test on the basic movement chapter of the course? You can't move on to one chapter unless you pass the chapter exam from the previous chapter. Let me know if that is the issue. Thanks,

Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:15 pm
Rookie

OK! Yes, I did do the exit exam. But I didn't see the 'done with chapter?' link at the bottom of the chapter links timeline.
Thanks. All set.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:50 pm

Great, glad to hear.

Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:19 am
Rookie

Hi,

Can you post a sample code for the Arm Position Challenge? I have trouble trying to get the program to work.

Thanks

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:04 pm

Hello,

Let's walk through the problem and identify the behaviors needed to solve the challenge. First, we need to move the arm to the down position. The arm is starting in a random position, so we need to use the bumper switch to signal that the arm has reached the down position. Therefore, we need to turn the motor on using the set motor command and then wait until the the bumper switch is depressed before we do anything else. Next, we need to move for 5 wheel rotations. Afterwards, we need to close the motor for the arm gripper. Finally, we need to return to the starting position.

If after examining this your code still does not work, please feel free to post your program. Then, we can take a look at it together to find the issue. Thanks for the question,

Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:32 pm
Rookie

Here's my code for this program:

Attachments:
ArmPositionChallengeVR.JPG
ArmPositionChallengeVR.JPG [ 51.07 KiB | Viewed 8395 times ]
Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks for posting your code. With the program, set just your arm motor by using the setMotor command, instead of setMultipleMotors. Since we want to move the arm down, set the motor speed at a negative value. Also, get rid of the moveMotor command. We don't need that command because of the waitUntil command block.

You don't need the second moveMotor command either. You can use the setMotor command to open and close the claw. And you can just use the Forward and Backwards command blocks to move the robot. Let me know if that helps.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:37 pm
Rookie

Yes, the code works now, but now there's another problem: when I completed the program, it doesn't show that I completed the program in My Progress. This also happened with the Color Sensor Quiz and because of this I couldn't get my Sensors Completion badge. Is this a bug?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Yes, it is and it is something that we are looking at fixing right now. Thanks,

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]