View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Welcome to the Summer of Learning! 

Post Welcome to the Summer of Learning!
Please post your questions here so we can learn together as we navigate through the 2014 ROBOTC for VEX IQ Summer of Learning!

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:42 pm
Rookie

Post Re: Welcome to the Summer of Learning!
I'm trying to find how to get to today's Webinar. Where is this posted? :eek:

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:28 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can find all of the information on the Summer of Learning course through the 2014 Summer of Learning page on CS2N.org: http://cs2n.org/summer-of-learning

Once you register and join the class, there is a link to the webinar in the top section of the class:
"Live guidance for this Unit will be offered at the following times! Please remember that these dates and times are subject to change.

Introduction to Software, Setup, Forums and Procedures: June 16, 2014 at 1:00 pm EDT (click hear to join at that time)"

That will direct you to the live webinar page and should allow you to log in and participate.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:33 pm
Rookie

I'm running RobotC 4.10, (FW 1010) on a Windows 8, 64 bit machine.

I have a program with a single command forward(8,rotations,50);

AFter compiling and downloading without any errors, I click on the start arrow and the robot moves forward just slightly, maybe 5 units on the virtual field. I can then click the start arrow again and the robot will travel the expected distance (approx 50 units). However if I click on the reset button and try to run again, the robot again only drives forward just slightly. And once again a second click on the start arrow is required before the robot will run the full distance.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Thanks for your question. Here is what is going on with your program. All that is required with the Moving Forward program is that your robot moves forward a particular distance. The distance that the Robot Virtual World (RVW) is looking for is rather small. When your robot moves that distance, you get the success message because the RVW has detected that your robot has moved forward that distance. So, in your case, you programmed your robot to move forward 8 rotations. When your robot moved forward a few rotations (around 2.5), the RVW gave you the "Success" message. Then, when you hit play again, it is actually finishing your original program and having your robot move the additional distance that you programmed it to move.

When you hit the reset button, the process starts over again. Hit the play button, and your robot moves forward until it reaches the success threshold. If you hit play a second time, it finishes the program.

Please let us know if you have any more questions. Thanks,

Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:32 pm
Rookie

what is the group code for the Basic Movement chapter

Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:29 am

I fixed the link to get into the Basic Movement Chapter. You don't have to enter a group code. Just click the link at the end of the Intro Chapter. Thanks,

Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:38 am
Rookie

How do you get to today's class?

Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:10 pm
Rookie

I’m using Windows 7, 64 bit machine.

The Class Recording Download used with the WebEx Network Recording Player is not showing video or sound. Anyone else having this problem?

Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:39 am
Rookie

Did you also download the WebEx ARF player? You'll need that to play the downloaded recording. A link for the WebEx player is given on the page when you click the recording download.

Alternatively, you could stream the recording and skip the downloads.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:38 pm
Rookie

I am interested in hearing from someone who has worked with students using RobotC and transitioned from using Natural Language to full RobotC.

At the time I first started teaching RobotC (on NXT robots), there was no such thing as Natural Language. Even after Natural Language was introduced I continued to use full RobotC with both NXT robots and VEX bots.

I am considering using RobotC Graphical and would like to hear from experienced teachers about the transition from Natural Language to full RobotC, both from the teacher perspective and the students.

Ann

Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Hi Ann,

I have transitioned from Natural Language to full ROBOTC with my younger (5th grade) students. NL was a good entry point for those students because there was less typing and the command were easier for the students to memorize. Saying that, one of the mistakes I made when first introducing ROBOTC was not taking full advantage of the text-based function library. It also serves as a drag and drop and can help with the syntax and paired punctuation.

I usually transitioned the students out of NL once they consistently were able to solve challenges without compiler errors. This was differentiated within the classroom, so I could have some students on full ROBOTC while others were using NL.

What I really like about ROBOTC Graphical is that beyond using simple commands to move a robot, it also teaches the syntax and logic behind the programming. And, it teaches those things in a manner in which students are not focused on why they have compiler errors. ROBOTC Graphical presents the concepts visually to the students (for example, the different colors for the loops) to help with understanding.

This is a great conversation to have, and I look forward to continuing it. Keep in mind, if there are things you'd like to see added to the curriculum or ROBOTC Graphical, please let us know. Thanks,

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:41 am
Rookie

dstehouwer wrote:
Did you also download the WebEx ARF player? You'll need that to play the downloaded recording. A link for the WebEx player is given on the page when you click the recording download.

Yes, I did all that but nothing is working with the video or sound. Thanks for the reply.

I am especially interested in the class recording downloads for offline viewing. I am just wondering if other people are successful with the download option.

Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:54 pm
Rookie

Jeddah wrote:
dstehouwer wrote:

Yes, I did all that but nothing is working with the video or sound. Thanks for the reply.

I am especially interested in the class recording downloads for offline viewing. I am just wondering if other people are successful with the download option.

UPDATE:
Ok, it’s working now.
Recommendations: Download the ARF Player first and wait for it to be fully downloaded and installed before beginning the class recording download.
Cheers

Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:28 pm
Rookie

When will Chapter 2: Sensors activities be released? I have finished everything up to Chapter 1: Basic Movement, including Ruins of Atlantis.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next