View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Saving [ .c ] files 
Rookie

Post Saving [ .c ] files
I am not sure if this question / issue belongs in this section, so please bear with me ..

We are a PLTW school ( Project Lead The Way ) and just started using ROBOTC for use with VEX Equipment. Prior, we used RoboPro -> Fischertechnik ONLY!

I / we did not have this problem using RoboPro, so I'm note sure if it's me / us .. or the application. I have found that students, when saving their ROBOTC files to the network are having "recovery" issues. I was told that it was a rights / permission issue, but I am not buying that.

My students have [ Full ] access rights / permissions to their user drives on the network.

Here is the problem, described to the best of my ability ..

Students create a file / script using the ROBOTC application. Once the script is completed, they then save said file to their network drive as a [ .c ] file .. naming it as they'd like.

If they then close out of ROBOTC, re-launch the application, then [ Open ] and navigate to where they saved their [ .c ] file, it's there and they can open it and work on it.

The next day, they come into class, logon and run the ROBOTC application, [ Open ] and navigate to where they saved their [ .c ] file .. and it's gone!

I have even logged onto their network drive and looked for their file as an administrator and it is nowhere to be found.

HELP!!!!

Ever heard of this before .. and if so, how do I resolve it?

Thank you ever so much in advance!

Michael

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:30 pm
Rookie

Post Re: Saving [ .c ] files
I only have two suggestions:
1) Try creating and saving a file in the same location using a different program (e.g. notepad). See if that file survives the night.
2) Contact your school's IT admin and find out why .c files are getting removed from the server overnight.

Terry

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:57 pm
Rookie

Terry,

I really appreciate the reply!

I am the school's IT Admin .. and this is the only program that is giving me issues. Autodesk Inventor files are fine .. Word or notepad files are fine ..

As stated in my prior post, this is the first year we are using this application and no one seem to know exactly how the program operates .. not even the instructor .. or so he says! All the previous years, we used RoboPro and did not have this issue.

I misspoke prior in stating that the file was there prior. It seems that the application creates a "ghost" drive, replicating the existing drive, and saves the file there. If I immediately logon to the server and navigate to the students folder, where he/she saved the file, it's not there. But if I go to the machine that the student is still logged onto, the file shows as being there and the student can access it. The "ghost" copy of the drive seems to be a created "temporary ghost drive" ( for lack of a better term ) because once the student logs out .. logs back on .. the file is gone! BUT .. there are existing [ .c ] files that do exist from previous sessions .. not all of the saved [ .c ] files .. but some.

I am pulling my hair out with this one because none of it makes any sense .. and only with this application. I have gone as far as uninstalling and re-installing .. no difference.

Michael

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:03 am
Rookie

OK .. I " t h i n k " I fix this issue.

On the server, the "Students" shared folder shows as 'available offline'. I went into the advanced properties of the share and turned off that function.

It's a 2012 Microsoft server .. the location for said setting is .. Properties of the shared folder .. Sharing -> Advanced Sharing -> Caching

Selected "No files or programs from the shared folder are available offline"

Once the student saves the [ .c ] file, it shows up under their network folder. I will be testing this today with various classes. I will update the results in the afternoon.

Michael

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:06 am
Rookie

Looks like taking the “Available Offline” setting off worked.

My only @ssumption is that the application was creating an “off-line” copy of the students folder and saving the [ .c ] file to it .. instead of the actual drive .. and then not uploading the changes to the server when the student logged off. Once the student logs off, that” offline” folder goes away!!!

Either way .. Looks Like Problem Solved!!!!!

Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:21 am
Rookie

MPSanSouci wrote:
Once the student logs off, that” offline” folder goes away!!!

I've not seen that specific behavior before, but it sounds like a bug you might want to work out with Microsoft.

Terry

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]