View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Decimal part of score 
Rookie

Post Decimal part of score
How is the decimal part of the score determined? It seems to be based on the amount of time left on the clock but doesn't quite follow it. The reason I am asking is that I thought it would be the time left on the clock showing the tie breaker as per the rules:
Quote:
1. The highest score in the shortest amount of time. (i.e. The game is 120 seconds long. If
the player has completed all of the scoring at 115 seconds they can press the Game
Stop Button to stop the game. If two Players have the same score, the score completed
in the shortest amount of time is the winner.)

However this chart shows what scores I got:

time left on | decimal
the clock | score
----------------------------
16 | .16
22 | .21
32 | .28
36 | .30

*These are mostly from memory

So I was curious how the decimal part is determined, if anything I do can penalize me (time wise) other than the Touching Penalty, and if anyone/everyone else is experiencing this or if it is just me.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:41 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Decimal part of score
Hi tr24em,
The score at any given time is calculated as follows:

Code:
submitScore = ringScore + timeRemaining / matchDuration

The ringScore is the score that is displayed in the score box on the screen, timeRemaining is the time left in the match in seconds (with time lost due to touch penalties factored in), and matchDuration is length of the match in seconds (120). The game calculates this on every update cycle, and stores the highest value of submitScore for submission when the match ends.

Since the ringScore is always a whole number, the fractional part of your score is the fraction of time remaining in the match when you achieved your highest score. If this happened with 36 seconds remaining, then 36 / 120 = 0.30. The rest of your samples seem to be a little bit off - my best guess would be that you didn't look at the timer until a couple seconds after you placed your last ring, but let us know if you find any bugs in the scoring.

Cheers,
--Ryan

Robot Potato Head; Virtual NXT

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:58 pm
Rookie

Post Re: Decimal part of score
Ok, thank you very much. Most of those were from memory and estimates of time so they weren't necessarily accurate.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]