View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Local variables not showing up in debugger window 

Post Local variables not showing up in debugger window

I have a program that is defining an integer variable in the first line of task main. After downloading the program (I have tried NXT, RVW NXT, and RVW VEX) I run the program and at no point is the variable displayed in the local variable debugger window. The only way I can get the variable to display is if I use a breakpoint. In this case, the variable displays while the program is paused, but disappears again as soon as the program resumes. I do not have this problem if I define the variable as a global variable. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:45 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Local variables not showing up in debugger window
Back in the ROBOTC 3.50 update, we changed the way local variables were handled by ROBOTC. Previous to this updated, local variables were essentially treated as global variables which allowed them to be viewed in the debugger window at any time.

In the move to make ROBOTC 3.50 more ANSI-C compliant (and more similar to true ANSI-C compilers found in the industry), local variables were treated as actual local variables which means they are no longer able to be viewed and updated in the program in real-time (unless the program is paused or stopped somehow.

For a more in-depth description of this change, why we decided to make it, and other information on the differences between global and local variables, please see our blog post about this change: ... -debugger/

Check out our Blog! And our Facebook page!
Need help? Take a look at our updated help documentation and the ROBOTC Forums.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]