View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
ROBOTC debugger window crashes the entire program 
Rookie

Post ROBOTC debugger window crashes the entire program
Screenshot:
http://i.imgur.com/A7pQSyD.png

Version: 4.32 (F/W: 10:32)
Build date: Jun 16 2015
Platform: VEX IQ, text mode.

I was testing out a self-parking program and downloading to the robot quite a bit to test new things, when suddenly, for no apparent reason, the next time I tried to download code to the robot, the program downloaded the code, opened the debugger, and promptly crashed. Now, it does this every time.

I tried closing and opening ROBOTC
I tried running another program -- one of the sample programs.
I tried restarting my computer.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling ROBOTC in a new location.
Nothing works.

I googled around for answers and saw that someone was saying the debugger itself can cause the program to crash. I disabled it in preferences, and sure enough, I was then able to download code to the robot.

If I go in to the menus, to Robot > Open Debugger Manually, the debugger window appears, and the program immediately crashes.

Is it possible for me to fix this problem?
Alternatively, is it possible to do a COMPLETE un-installation, so that there is not a trace of ROBOTC anywhere on my system, (including the registry) so I can try a fresh install?

I noticed that my menus and other preferences were still the same on the new install - very annoying, since there's some options for menus that cannot be undone. (The text functions auto-hide cannot be tuned off when the program is in debugging mode, for example. But that's another issue.)

Attachments:
robotC crashing from debugger.png
robotC crashing from debugger.png [ 403.84 KiB | Viewed 4537 times ]
Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:27 am
Rookie

Post Re: ROBOTC debugger window crashes the entire program
UPDATE:

Like I suspected, it was something in the registry.

I uninstalled ROBOTC a second time, manually deleted any remaining folders, and deleted the registry files, following these instructions:

viewtopic.php?t=5527&p=23007

Now the debugger works, the program doesn't crash, AND the other windows are back to normal.

I still don't know what caused the error, and I hope I don't have to do such a drastic fix for problems in the future.

The only thing I can think of was my use of sleep(00); but I'm not gonna risk trying that again to verify.

Note: my menu level was set to "super user," if that makes any difference.

Another note, not related: The auto saving features will automatically overwrite the sample programs. This is bad news, since I use them as a basis for tinkering around, deleting and adding code haphazardly and experimentally, destroying the original code. I didn't expect any of that to be SAVED, since I never told it to save, AND I assumed the sample programs wouldn't be over-writable anyway.

Fortunately, I got back the default sample programs when I reinstalled ROBOTC. But those should definitely NOT over-writable.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]