View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Roadmap? 
Rookie

Post Roadmap?
Is there a link to some sort of development/release road map where you lay out what your top priorities are and what your projected milestones are?

I'm contemplating working this into my curriculum I use with middle-schoolers but want to have some idea how the product will evolve.

Thank you! This is a very exciting project that will be a great learning tool. Keep up the good work!

Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:10 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Roadmap?
Hello Mr. Woodly,

Thanks for your interest. You may or may not know that this project is part of a much larger project called our Computer Science Social Network (CS2N) CS2N will have a soft release in May and a major release in September. CS2N is aimed at informal education and is designed to engage a larger number of students in CS activities. CS2N will be free to students and the Robot Virtual World will be part of CS2N.

Now for your answer... We have another scheduled technical demonstration in the beginning of May. That release will include light sensors, better resolution of the encoder, and touch sensors. We will also add a couple more robots and more gaming and training functionality for May. By September we will have a game with missions where you score points on accomplishing robot tasks... There will be a full product for school use in September.

Tools like the Robot Virtual World will be available to schools as a licensed product and will cost around $300 for a classroom license, which allows you to put this training tool on every computer in your classroom. A school product will be ready for September.

Robin

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:00 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

I am currently using the 60 day trial of the virtual worlds. I definitely see the positive response from students, and many benefits already. In justifying the perpetual license, I'm looking for some documented plans for enhancements (ideally with a target timeline). I don't think I do enough with robotics or coding to justify the use "as is", but I expect that there are "big plans" in the works. If I've missed documentation of the future plans somewhere, please point me in that direction. Thank you. - Jon

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:38 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The initial post was in March 2011. Since then we've added over 60 challenges that align with the ROBOTC Video Trainer Curricula; over 30 for LEGO and over 30 for VEX. We've also developed simulations for the FTC and Gateway robotics competitions. We are mixing learning to program with gaming. Within the next month we will have a major release of a new planet H99 as well as several other fantasy worlds like Palm Island.

We continue to develop innovative ways to emulate sensors and robot behaviors with the virtual worlds. This is no easy problem because of the amount of physics the emulator uses; this is not a scripted game where there are a limited amount of conditions that the player is using. Our robots are sharing hundreds/thousands of data points per second when they survey the virtual world.

We are committed to making tools that will make it easier (and more fun) for kids to learn to program. All that I can tell you is that we have a team of people committed to the project and continue to invest in the technology.

Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]