View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Sonar on H99 
Rookie

Post Sonar on H99
I've been playing around with the sonar for the virtual robot. I made a program that drives forward until it sees something within 75 units, then turns in place while using speed control to hold itself 50 units away from whatever it sees. In the process I found out some things about this virtual sonar that are different from real sonar. The virtual sonar has a far wider range and can detect any object, not just objects that sonar would normaly work on. This is nice as far as obstacle avoidance, in fact, the program I created hasn't run into anything with it's front side yet, but programmers who are used to working with real sonar should be aware that this sonar picks up a lot of stuff that real sonar wouldn't, so it is easy for it to get stuck in a loop. Another problem with it that complounds that is that it is very reliable. Robots with real sonar offten work their way out of places where they are stuck because the readings of the sonar fluctuate, but this sonar's reading is always exactly correct.

Attachments:
File comment: This is my obstacle avoidance program.
droidfreak36 sonar.c [1.03 KiB]
Downloaded 240 times

Robots rule!
Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:15 am
Rookie

Post Re: Sonar on H99
Just imagine that the virtual robots have a vastly more expensive sonar than the one you get normally. :)

Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

@ Ed Paradis: About what you said in the "General Reviews" forum (I decided to move the topic here because it relates to sonar), it doesn't seem to me that the H99 rover bot has sonar that fans out. After running several programs it still seems that the sonar only picks up things in the robot's path path and detects everything in it's path (a rectangle). While this is a nice feature most of the time, it is virtually impossible to do with real sonar, and sometimes it's nice to have a wider area of detection. It would be better to make the sonar detect a triangular area (Actually, not quite a triangle. More like a slice of pizza.) and allow the programmer to place the sonar on the robot to detect objects along whatever heading they like.

Robots rule!

Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:35 pm
Rookie

I assure you the sonar fans out in a triangle (and you are right in your description: its more like a slice of pizza). It has a total beam width of 40 degrees. I've thought of a few ways to make this more clear to users, and hopefully I'll get it into the next release.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

I have found a problem with some obsticals, like the flame pit things, that they do not read very well on the sonar until you are right on top of them. I have had my Bot get hung up on the support infrustructure several times.

Sckoarn

Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]