View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Does the virtual world VRC gyro need initializing? 
Rookie

Post Does the virtual world VRC gyro need initializing?
Does the Virtual world VRC robot gyro need to run the initialization routine like the real world VRC robot does? I did not see any of the sample programs use the gyro (still on 4.27)

Does the virtual world gyro have any drift?

I'm trying to get handle on the gyro and have the kids to use the gyro and accommodate for drift so trying to ensure as much real world coding is present versus the benefits of being in a virtual world.

Fri May 08, 2015 11:15 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Does the virtual world VRC gyro need initializing?
You do not have to initialize the gyro sensor when using virtual worlds. You just have to make sure that your Motors and Sensors setup match your target virtual world robot.

The Gyro Sensors does not have any drift, but you will still need to account the robot itself "drifting".

Suppose you wanted to turn the robot 90 degrees. If you were to wait for the Gyro Sensor to be greater than or equal to 90, and had the robot turning at full power, the robot may not stop exactly at 90. If you were to turn with lower speeds, the robot would stop closer to 90. So regarding your question, students would still have to accommodate for the robot turning past the threshold stated in the condition.

Think of a car traveling at a high velocity. If you press the brakes the car will not stop instantly. The car will travel a distance before coming to a stop. The lower the velocity, the shorter the distance it will travel before coming to a complete stop.

What platform/robot are you using? I will be happy to point you in the right direction of some sample programs that use the gyro sensor.

Fri May 08, 2015 3:39 pm
Rookie

Post Re: Does the virtual world VRC gyro need initializing?
Thanks. Right now I am using the RVW squarebot but will be switching to nothing but net pretty soon.

Tue May 12, 2015 6:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]