View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Bluetooth and Windows Vista 
Rookie

Post Bluetooth and Windows Vista
I cannot get the Bluetooth dongle supplied with my FTC kit to work on my Windows Vista PC. When I plug it into the USB port it tries to install but fails. Viewed in the Bluetooth hardware devices it says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". All attempts to find/download/install a new driver fail.

It does work on two other Win XP computers, so I suspect this is a compatibility issue with Vista. I want to use it on the Vista computer (HP Pavilion dv6000) as this is a laptop that I am able to bring to meetings and competitions.

Any sugggestions?

Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:09 pm
Expert

Post Re: Bluetooth and Windows Vista
I have vista and it works, so it may be your crudware (software that you don't want that comes on your computer) that is causing the problem.
Either that or you need to install SP1.
Btw I am using a gateway P-7811 FX

FTC Team #2959 Team Smash Bros CLICK HERE.(or click www)
Quote:
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.

Agreed

Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

It also works for me, on an Aspire 3680

if your laptop has built in bluetooth you might want to try that first.... or disable that bluetooth so you can use the dongle stand-alone

Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:59 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you're having issues with anything hardware related in the kit, let LEGO Education know.

Quote:
For technical support, call 866-349-LEGO (5346). Our friendly and savvy staff are in the office Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. central time.

Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:20 am
Rookie

Thanks all for your responses. After a hiatus I am getting back to this. It seems Vista can be ruled out as the problem.

I uninstalled all the robotics software and re-started from the beginning, trying both the computer's integrated Bluetooth and the supplied dongle. In both cases, the computer connects via Bluetooth to the robot, as evidenced by 'seeing' the NXT in the Bluetooth control panel. However, the RobotC software cannot connect to the NXT. When I try to download programs or control the NXT through the joystick control. I get an error message that says "Failed to open Communication link to NXT brick".

Any further suggestions? I will also report this to Lego tech support. Thanks.

Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:15 pm
Expert

Your NXT's memory is full. Reformat it and then try again. It happened to me once...

FTC Team #2959 Team Smash Bros CLICK HERE.(or click www)
Quote:
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.

Agreed

Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

adelcoll wrote:
Thanks all for your responses. After a hiatus I am getting back to this. It seems Vista can be ruled out as the problem.

I uninstalled all the robotics software and re-started from the beginning, trying both the computer's integrated Bluetooth and the supplied dongle. In both cases, the computer connects via Bluetooth to the robot, as evidenced by 'seeing' the NXT in the Bluetooth control panel. However, the RobotC software cannot connect to the NXT. When I try to download programs or control the NXT through the joystick control. I get an error message that says "Failed to open Communication link to NXT brick".

Any further suggestions? I will also report this to Lego tech support. Thanks.

A few things you can try.

1a. Reset the bluetooth via the menu on the NXT: Bluetooth - Reset
1b. Reset the bluetooth by pulling the battery on the NXT while the NXT is powered on.
2. Reset the NXT itself by holding down the button in the hole nearest to the USB adapter. You'll need a tiny screw driver or a lego axle to reach down there. Hold the button for 10 seconds until you hear a faint clicking sound from the NXT.
3. Delete all names from Windows Bluetooth connection history.
4. Disabled your internal bluetooth. Windows cannot operate with two bluetooth adapters (I believe it'll ignore the second one.

Keep us updated.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:58 am
Creator
Creator

CC335 wrote:
Your NXT's memory is full. Reformat it and then try again. It happened to me once...

There is a command to "defragment" files in the NXT file sytem. Defragmentation is required when the has many small chunks of available space between used files. None of the small chunks (i.e. free memory) may be large enough to store the user program you're trying to downloaded. And, unlike a PC with disk, user programs need to be stored in a single large contiguous block of flash memory.

The "Defragment" command moves files around in the NXT flash to pack them together without intervening free space so that you end up with one large contiguous block of free memory. The "Defragment" command is found on the "NXT File Management" window. You can access it via the mend command "Robot -> NXT brick -> File Management".

However, this is not likely the cause of Bluetooth problems.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:04 pm
Rookie

I just got a new computer with windows vista(it's a compaq laptop) how do i tell if it has bluetooth on it.

Last edited by limberly on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:38 am

Limberly,

Can you give us the model name/number of the laptop? Most modern laptops have BT built-in.

Regards,
Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:49 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

In my experience, bluetooth with the NXT is sort of random. Also, I have an HP laptop with built in bluetooth that basically does the same thing no matter what I do (NXT-G or RobotC).

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]