View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 28, 2015 3:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
How to fix NXT motor being powered while Teleop is ready? 
Rookie

Post How to fix NXT motor being powered while Teleop is ready?
Whenever I go to run Teleop in ROBOTC, you have to go from All stopped, to Teleop Ready, to Teleop Running, yeah?

Well, when I click Teleop Running, then the NXT motor powers on and keeps going, straining itself until
I click Teleop Running.

Is there a way to stop this? I don't want to keep straining the motor.

I've already tried to make it so that if the top hat isn't pressed, then it sets the speed to zero. The 0 position on the top is what makes the NXT move into the strained position if it's not controlled.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:23 am
Guru

Post Re: How to fix NXT motor being powered while Teleop is ready
BisonBot5209 wrote:
Whenever I go to run Teleop in ROBOTC, you have to go from All stopped, to Teleop Ready, to Teleop Running, yeah?

Well, when I click Teleop Running, then the NXT motor powers on and keeps going, straining itself until
I click Teleop Running.

I've already tried to make it so that if the top hat isn't pressed, then it sets the speed to zero. The 0 position on the top is what makes the NXT move into the strained position if it's not controlled.

I don't understand what you described here. Are you saying you click TeleOp Running without clicking TeleOp Ready?

Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:12 am
Professor

BisonBot5209 wrote:

I click Teleop Running.

Does your code have waitForStart()? It seems like ROBOTC will send a zeroed out joystick command to the robot when Teleop Ready is selected, and if your code doesn't have waitForStart, then any code that uses the top hat will think it's being pressed up and cause such behavior.

Check out our team website at http://bluechariotsoffire.com/.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:45 am
Rookie

MHTS wrote:
BisonBot5209 wrote:

I click Teleop Running.

I don't understand what you described here. Are you saying you click TeleOp Running without clicking TeleOp Ready?

Yes, it doesn't let me just jump to run Teleop, I have to pass through ready first, then click running. But as I'm transitioning, the motor powers on. Sorry if it was confusing, I'm sure there is a better way of doing it and I just chose the taboo method. Not exactly sure how that part of it works, I'm still new to this.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:03 pm
Rookie

BurningLights wrote:
BisonBot5209 wrote:

I click Teleop Running.

Does your code have waitForStart()? It seems like ROBOTC will send a zeroed out joystick command to the robot when Teleop Ready is selected, and if your code doesn't have waitForStart, then any code that uses the top hat will think it's being pressed up and cause such behavior.

I never thought teleop would need a wait for start, but now that you mention it sounds like just what I need.

Is it a good idea to generally put waitforstart() at the beginning of all programs, even if a problem like mine isn't present?

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:05 pm
Professor

[quote="BisonBot5209
I never thought teleop would need a wait for start, but now that you mention it sounds like just what I need.

Is it a good idea to generally put waitforstart() at the beginning of all programs, even if a problem like mine isn't present?[/quote]

Yes, waitForStart() should be at the beginning of all FTC programs that will be used in competition. You will fail field inspection if your robot can move between autonomous and teleop.

Check out our team website at http://bluechariotsoffire.com/.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:05 pm
Guru

You need to understand the differences between the "TeleOp ready" state and the "TeleOp running" state. When you clicked "TeleOp ready", the TeleOp program is loaded and run. When you click "TeleOp running", it just means it will clear the "StopPgm" Boolean field in the joystick structure. If your teleop program has the waitForStart, that will unblock the waitForStart call. If you don't have a waitForStart call in your teleop program, then "TeleOp ready" and "TeleOp running" states have no difference.

Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]