View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Encoders 
Rookie

Post Encoders
Hi
I am using the encoders on the dc motors but I am having trouble figuring out how to set targets for the motors. I do not mean how to set a target for the motor to turn lets say 180 degrees, but rather have set positions. For example, if i press button 1 I want the motor to turn to "home" position. If I press button 2 i want it to go to lets say "1st base." And that if i turn the program off and on again, the home position would be the home position i want, not to zero the encoders and make the position they started in "home." This is because i want the motors to set to home through the programming rather than manually set the motor to my "home" position every time i will use the robot.
Thank You

Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:07 pm
Expert

Post Re: Encoders
Yes, this type of "auto-calibration" can be really handy. It depends on the range of operation of your motor, though. If the range of operation is less than 360 degrees, you can use a touch sensor to "auto-calibrate".

Upon startup, start the motor turning slowly in the direction of "home", and stop the motor as soon as you sense that a tab attached to the motor has pressed the touch sensor. Then initialize everything to 0 or whatever. If you want "home" to be, say, halfway between two extremes, then you can try moving the motor all the way to one of the extremes until you sense the touch, then all the way to the other extreme where you sense a second touch, the move the motor half way between them and initialize everything to zero or whatever.

Another way that doesn't require a touch sensor can be used if the range of motion includes a "hard stop" at one end. Simply move the motor slowly towards the "hard stop" and watch for it to "stall" by watching for the encoder to stop changing values for awhile. Then stop the motor and you can initialize everything to zero.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]