View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Servo Help 
Rookie

Post Servo Help
I was wondering if it is possible to program the servos so that if you press a button, the servo will move at one direction and when you let go of that button, the servo will stop moving and remain in its current position. If anyone has programmed this please show me a sample. Thank you in advance.
:poke:

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:06 pm
Expert

Post Re: Servo Help
Paranoid486 wrote:
I was wondering if it is possible to program the servos so that if you press a button, the servo will move at one direction and when you let go of that button, the servo will stop moving and remain in its current position. If anyone has programmed this please show me a sample. Thank you in advance.
:poke:

I have seen a couple of approaches to this. Most involve setting the servo target to the servo value +/- a predefined step if a certain button is pressed. The general gotcha is that unless there is some sort of mutex and/or wait, the holding down a button for a fraction of a second can result in the target being set to a min/max value as the statement is executed rapidly inside the control loop. Remember that the servo's value is actually just the previously set target... not the actual/physical position (which it takes time to reach).

One design which just came to mind when I read your post was to create a new task whose sole responsibility is the control of the servo in question you wish to control this way. The task would check the buttons (I imagine you'd want two; one for each direction), if pressed check for min/max constraints, increment/decrement the servo, then sleep (via a wait statement) for a time long enough to allow the servo to physically move the distance the target was changed by.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:55 pm
Creator
Creator

It is not possible to read the current value of the servo. All that is known is the value that you've told it to move to. So, in general, you can't do your original request.

Consider the case of the servo being at position 0. And you hold the button in long enough that the servo is told to move to position 255. But it may only be partially through this move. Suppose it is only now at position 150. If you wanted to stop the servo at the current position you'd have to know that it currently is at position 150 and then tell it to move to 150. But there is no way to interrogate the servo hardware to tell how far it has progressed towards the initial target of 255.

Sorry.

Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:16 pm
Rookie

Cant you put a motor encoder on the servo axle and if the motor encoder reeds a steady rate at the wrong degrees you know you hit something...

Palm Harbor University High School, Robotics team Pandara #506

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]