View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Bluetooth on Field Controller System 
Rookie

Post Bluetooth on Field Controller System
I realize this isn't exactly programming but I'm not sure where to put it.

My programming team and I are having severe issues getting the bluetooth to connect via the Field Controller System (FCS). We can get the computer and the NXT Brick to recognize each other (as seen from the ROBOTC Link Setup) but for some unknown reason the FCS won't read the NXT Brick. We've input the Brick name correctly and replaced the batteries on it as well, but to no avail. Some of he solutions tried have been to make the computer recognize the NXT device when near or clicked. This simply works for the ROBOTC side of things not the FCS.

So I guess my question is:

How do I get the Field Controller System to recognize the Bluetooth connection between the computer and the NXT Brick?

thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------

When asked afterward why he thought his charge had failed Confederate General Pickett responded,

"Well, I'm pretty sure the Yankees had something to do with it."

Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:32 pm
Creator
Creator

Post Re: Bluetooth on Field Controller System
Only one application at a time can access BT link. So you need to make sure that an existing open application (ROBOTC, NXT-G or LabVIEW) hasclosed the connection to BT before trying to run the FCS application.

It takes a few seconds to set up a BT connection. So all three applications (ROBOTC, NXT-G and LabVIEW) will all keep a BT connection open even though they are not using it. E.G., with ROBOTC once you download (via BT) then the BT link is kept open even though ROBOTC is not currently using it. These applications only close the BT connection when the application exits! [Or when you switch to communications via USB]

So before running the FCS, you should close any of these other three applications.

Even if you are using a USB connection in ROBOTC to download (and debug) and not BT you should still close ROBOTC. The three IDEs are "smart" enough to open a BT connection if another application has a USB link open; FCS does not seem to work well with this. There are tricks to work around this, but complicated to explain and somewhat error prone so I won't get into it.

If any of the three IDEs are able to open a BT connection, download some data or run the debugger and then exit the application, then the FCS should be able to as well. [As long as the other applications are closed]. If this is not the case please post again.

Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:41 pm
Rookie

I am having a slightly different problem with the Field Controller System. When I try to connect the FCS to the NXT, the connection is established (either by BT or USB cable), but the FCS is not able to upload the name for the TeleOp program. When I attempt to run a match with the FCS, the autonomous program executes correctly. However, when I start the TeleOp portion of the match, the TeleOp program does not run (I think because the FCS does not know which program to run??). If I manually run the TeleOp program by pressing the Orange button on the NXT, the remote control then works for the remainder of the TeleOp period.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Rick Correia
FTC Team #4024

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:35 pm
Rookie

There needs to be a file named "FTCConfig.txt." on the NXT.
This file contains the name of the team's TeleOp program to run during the operator control period.

To write file, compile and download your teleop program to the NXT, open the Debug - Joystick Game Mode
window, in the center of the window there is a pulldown box to select your teleop program.
That should write the FTCConfig.txt file.

You can check by going to the going to the file transfer menu item and looking at all the files that are
on your NXT. Click on the FTCConfig.txt file and copy it to your computer. Open the text file
with notepad, and make sure your teleop program name is there.

Hope this helps...

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:56 am
Rookie

Eric,

Brilliant! Thank you so much. This worked perfectly.

Is this documented somewhere that I missed? I looked all over for it.

Anyway, we're back in business. Thanks for your help.

Rick

Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]