View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Bad controller numbers 
Rookie

Post Bad controller numbers
Our Logitech gaming controllers are recognized by the computer and work fine but when we try to run ROBOTC debugger, when we bring up the controller window it says "BAD CONTROLLER NUMBER" and we can't figure out why. HELP PLEASE? we need to start testing again.

-Mark Gundling
Captain

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:01 am
Expert

Post Re: Bad controller numbers
I can only get that error message to display when I open a second controller with only one plugged in.

Questions to help us help you:
    Are you using the simply joystick debug window or the game joystick debug window?
    Does using one or the other make any difference?
    How many joysticks are you using (one or two)?
    There is a dropdown on all the joystick debug windows. It should have something similar to "1: Logitech Dual Action" selected. What do you have selected?
    What other options are in the dropdown mentioned above?
    Does refreshing the list (the last option in the dropdown) give new options and does selecting another option resolve your issue?

Please post back here answers/additional info or if you resolved your issue.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:48 pm
Rookie

We are also having the same issue. It doesn't matter if we are using one or two controllers or if we are using the single or game version. Either way we get the "BAD CONTROLLER NUMBER" error. The drop down menu is blank excet for the refresh option which doesn't do anything. Any solutions yet?

Thanks.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:45 pm
Rookie

we want to use two controllers. the drop down menu is blank with no choices. we tried using both simple and game windows. refreshing the list does nothing at all. i just tried again and got the same results

Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:58 am
Expert

Hopefully the moderators will jump in as I do not believe I can help with this one.

Sounds like ROBOTC is not physically detecting your joysticks at all. You mentioned that they are recognized by the computer and work fine; can you elaborate? Do you mean that they show in Device Manager in Windows?
Out of curiosity, what version of Windows are you running and can you post your driver details for the joystick?

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:47 pm
Rookie

I can't speak for the others, but we are running vista sp2 on one machine and windows 7 on the other. The drivers are the default from windows. I do see the joystick icon in the device manager on both computers.

Thanks

Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:13 pm
Rookie

we're using windows vista home edition. and we too are using the default device manager. i'm not sure what you mean by the "driver details of the joysitcks"

to elaborate: when the controllers are plugged into the computer, the device manager picks them up and shows that they work (buttons and all). so it sounds like it's a robotc problem with not reading the controllers.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:54 am
Rookie

We have the same problem described above. We are using Windows 7 as OS and RobotC version 1.93. We've also installed the Vista 32-bit driver of the Dual Action Joystick, downloaded from the Logitech-website. However, when we compile a program and open the Joystick-debug window, we're still having an empty list only with the option "refresh". Is there any solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Jaimy.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:28 am
Rookie

Could a developer respond to this topic to tell us that you are at least working on the problem. Currently there is no way for us to test any tele-operated programs. This is kind of a big problem for us!

Thanks

Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:33 pm
Creator
Creator

I am the developer of this part of ROBOTC and am looking at the issue today. Sorry for not getting back earlier.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:34 pm
Creator
Creator

I have not yet been able to reproduce this problem. There are several things that could potentially cause th

ROBOTC uses the Microsoft DirectX library functions built into Windows to enumerate joysticks. It uses Version 8 of the "Direct Input" files. So there should be a "dinput8.dll" file in the C:/Windows/System32 directory. I think ROBOTC will not startup if the file is not present; but there is a possibility that it is an old (or too new) version. The one that is on my VISTA 32-bit installation has a last modified date of "Saturday, ‎January ‎19, ‎2008, ‏‎2:34:04 AM" and is version "6.0.6001.18000". I re-installed the latest downloadable version from Microsoft's site at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... 6652cd92a3 and it installed the same version.

DirectX sequentially enumerates joysticks and assigns them an integer value 1, 2, 3, .... The order that they are enumerated is not guaranteed to be the same between restarts of Windows but in my experience it always is. By default ROBOTC uses index 1 for the first joystick and index 2 for the second; but if you re-assign them, then the index that you've assigned them to is remembered with the registry entries for Windows for subsequent use.

If you only have one joystick provisioned and try to use the dual controller screens the second game controller with show the message "Bad Controller Number". What this message means is that ROBOTC was unable to find a game controller in the enumerated list that corresponds to the index that ROBOTC is mentioning above.

Similarly if you tried the single screen and there are no joysticks found during the enumeration process then you'd get this error message for the first joystick as well.

So it seems like the root cause problem is that the eumeration process is failing. This seems consistent with the reports that when you use the “refresh joystick” commands the list shows up empty.

If you have another application open that uses joysticks and has requested their use in “exclusive” (rather than “shared”) mode then they won’t be accessible to ROBOTC. I’m not sure whether this prevents them from showing up in the list or just prevents them from being accessed/opened by ROBOTC. I did check that the “Control Panel” for joysticks appears to use

I checked Logitech’s site at “http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/logitech_en_amr.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=13985&section=troubleshoot&crid=441&lt_product_id=288&tabs=1,3,2,4,5&cl=us,en&p_search_text=Logitech® Dual Action™ Gamepad#gaming” and cannot find the “Dual Action (i.e. model G-UF13A) listed in the System 7 compatibility list. Big surprise to me and perhaps I missed it.

If you jack in and then out of the USB jack then it is possible for Windows to get confused. I got into a situation where Windows recognized the controllers but did not receive any input from them. This was using the "test" section of the "Game Controlle's" Control Panel and hence independent of ROBTC.

Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:28 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would like anyone to try this who is experiencing this issue.

- Close ROBOTC
- Go into the ROBOTC installation folder and locate the DINPUT8.dll that is inside of that folder.
- Move this file to another location (don't delete it), but outside of the ROBOTC folder.
- Start ROBOTC again and try the joysticks.

My guess is that we're including an older version of DINPUT8 that works fine in XP, but not so much in VISTA... but I need to confirm this. I'm in the process of testing this myself, so if no one beats me to it, I'll post my findings here.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:37 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've tried reproducing this issue, to no avail.

My process:
- Clean VISTA install (running Business edition)
- ROBOTC 1.93 FTC version
- Plugged into the logitech controller directly, no driver download
- Try both the NXT Brick menu versions and the debugger, everything worked.
- Restarted, Downloaded the Logitech Driver, plugged in the dual action controller again...
- Try both the NXT Brick menu versions and the debugger, everything worked.

Screenshot....

Note, that only Logitech Dual Action controllers will appear. If you're trying an xbox360 controller or anything else, it may not show up inside of ROBOTC.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:41 pm
Rookie

Thanks tfriez, your suggestion worked for me on our vista sp2 computer. I haven't tried it on the windows 7 yet, but I am hopeful.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]