View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
hooking motors in parallel 
Rookie

Post hooking motors in parallel
This is probably not the place, but if i want to hook 2 - 12 V motors in parallel, is it as simple as just wiring both motor wires to the same port and runing them as 1 motor in the program (motor[motorF]=100;) ?

Also, I'm trying to run the third (if paralleled) 12 V motor on joystick 2. I have for code (motor[motorF] = joystick.joy2_y1;) and it is not working to move the motor, however when just the one motor is run in autonomous, it does move. Am I missing anything with regards to the joystick program that is causing a problem?

Thanks

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:11 pm
Novice

Post Re: hooking motors in parallel
Yes, we are told the Hitechnic motor controllers can handle 2 motors in parallel. So just put both sets of wires into the little terminal block.

Quote:
Also, I'm trying to run the third (if paralleled) 12 V motor on joystick 2.

sorry, I don't think I 100% understand what you're saying here. Is this trying to drive the paralled motors at different speeds? If so...no...you can't drive the paralleled motors at different speeds (opposite directions is possible if you swap red/black on one). But in general they will always operate together.

Also turn off PID control if it is on. I doubt that would work very well.

Assuming motorF is the port for the two motors in parallel

motor[motorF] = 100; will work. as will...
motor[motorF] = joystick.joy2_y1;

If this isn't working in manual but it is in auto, double check that you have the joystick debug window open and the two joystick mode clicked It annoyingly resets every time you recompile. I wish they'd keep the exact same debug settings between compile iterations.

Come to think of it I wish they'd have a better spot for us to put all the things we wish they'd do to make RobotC better.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:48 pm
Rookie

Post Re: hooking motors in parallel
Thanks...i wanted to check before I tried. It worked.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]