View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Problems with NXT's bluetooth connection with controller 
Rookie

Post Problems with NXT's bluetooth connection with controller
Let me start with the fact that our team was successful in using NXT-G for this exact purpose. However, we switched to ROBOTC because of its text-based interface.

Moving on...

Our NXT brick cannot be controlled through the FTC controller station from within RobotC. I have been trying to fix it for the past three weeks now and every time I open RobotC I wonder if the switch was worth it.

Regardless, I do have some potiential culprits for the problems.
1. I'm using version 1.40 of RobotC. Please note that we have downloaded 1.46 but because the computer we're using is from our school, we could not install the newer version.
2. The NXT brick's driver version is out-of-date (from the NXT VERSION screen I have the following: [don't mind the dots- they're for placement purposes])

FW ROBOTC.....7.60
15Oct 2008.....13:42
AVR................1.01
BC4................1.01
Address: 1234.56.78.9A.BC

FYI - the NXT can receive the programs but when you try to run it the NXT responds as if you made a menu selection.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:16 pm
Novice

Post Re: Problems with NXT's bluetooth connection with controller
Have you tried to put...

#include "joystickdriver.c"

getJoystickSettings(joystick);// within the while loop if you have any.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

yes I have. I've been using the FTC-supplied code 2_joystick_drive since late November.
does it matter if I use the supplied Bluetooth dongle or can I use the laptop's built-in BT capability?

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:56 pm
Novice

People says that laptops have issues with those kind of stuffs but try to search through the Forum for bluetooth stuffs and you will find some information.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:39 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

I have already searched the majority of the forums for any issue that would be similar to mine. Alas, I am the only one who has this issue.

Thanks anyways.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:43 am
Novice

Upgrading to 1.46 would be your best bet. You're using an extremely old version which doesn't support some of electronics that the FTC kit has.

Secondly, use the bluetooth dongle. It is better to simulate what will be used at competition, plus there have been issue regarding on board bluetooth connections.

Thirdly, you should have a new NXT with an updated "version". I would highly suggest you use that rather than the old NXT.

Finally, I would also suggest downloading the RobotC firmware to the NXT if you have not already done so.

Let me know if any of the above helps.

EDIT: Also, there is an updated joystick driver for RobotC. Go to www.ftctraining.com for the updated joystick driver, and they might also have some tips that might help you out.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:38 am
Novice

upgrading to 1.46 is a must, because i believe that they are beginning to check nxt firmware at software inspection and 1.40 doesnt really work that well.. remember to uninstall 1.40 first, because there is not a built in uninstaller yet.

Daytona Robofest Winning Alliance Captain
Daytona Robofest Inspire Award

Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:54 pm
Rookie

I can't upgrade RobotC because I need the computer admin['s password] from my school to do it. I don't have the 'user privileges' necessary to install RobotC 1.46.

And I have no idea as to whether or not he's on vacation right now (it's winter break for my school).

EDIT: He's also the reason as to why our team hasn't been using the included Bluetooth dongle - it needs administrator privileges to run properly.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:56 pm
Novice

If you're looking for a temporary solution until the school IT gets back, you could use
ThinApp from VMWare to create a portable installation (that runs on a thumbdrive)

Do this on a computer at home and "capture" the installation to create the "portable" version. I believe VMWare has a 30day trial version that would work for you.

You won't need admin privileges on the school computer then since it doesn't try to install.

As for the bluetooth dongle, this technique won't help since ThinApp won't capture drivers (yet).
But the internal bluetooth "should" work it just might be a little flaky.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:15 pm
Rookie

Actually I was trying to use RobotC 1.46 from within my Windows 7 beta build (my home computer is an intel iMac) but I would always get the "NXT drivers unavailable" error message. Your technique might work out for the time being so I'll give it a shot.

If all ends badly I'll be forced to revert back to NXT-G and I really don't want to do that.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:33 pm
Novice

i have windows 7, you just need to download the nxt driver from the lego website. Our school IT gave us admin rights on our specific computers

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:54 pm
Rookie

hey guys thanks for the help.

Whoever suggested that I use the bluetooth dongle I thank you very very much!!!! I am so happy that I finally got my robot to work correctly!!

Thanks a bunch you guys!

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:56 pm
Rookie

I stand corrected - apparently my successful connection was only a one-time deal. I can't get the damn thing to connect anymore, but I know the general cause of the problem.

The driver for the Bluetooth dongle was not fully loaded. I know that I will need administrator access to uninstall it but I don't know how to do it.

Any suggestions?

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:21 pm
Novice

once you are logged in as an admin go to control panel, Admin tools, computer management and then click devise manager. find the dongle, right click, and say uninstall

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:28 pm
Novice

Also, sometimes windows will reinstall the driver depending on which usb port you plug the device into.

I know it sounds weird but I've had it happen with many different devices. I can't tell if its fundamentally windows or how the device driver was written. But it definitely does happen.

So you might try a different port. Also once you get it working always use the same port on the computer for each device (joysticks, mouse, bluetooth dongle, NXT via USB, etc) I know its a little extreme but it helps keep window's little demons appeased.

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next