View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
IR Seeker v2 
Rookie

Post IR Seeker v2
Hey guys, my team is working on the autonomous for our robot and I can't figure out how to use the IR Seeker v2. Could I get some help? Maybe a webpage with good documentation?

Thanks
The Muskies.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:59 pm

Post Re: IR Seeker v2
Download my driver suite from the link in the signature and check out the hitechnic-irseeker-v2-test* programs.

= Xander

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

I downloaded the driver but can't find any help on how to actually use it. I watched the video but at xander's site but it is not enough info for me. We are a 2nd year team and not real advanced at programming and the info on the site expects we aren't beginners. I ran the program hitechnic-irseeker-v2-SMUX-test1.c and it gave numbers on the NXT debugger screen but I am not real sure what they mean. I found that 4 is what changed when I got the IR sensor close the number got smaller till at 0 when we reached it. My problem is I can't figure out how to read the strength of the sensor and then use it to make my IR following program more precise. I would really appreciate any help. We compete at our state competition on Feb. 23rd and the aspect of our performance that is lacking is autonomous. We get so close but not enough.

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 pm

You are using the IR Seeker through the SMUX, are you? If not, you shouldn't be using that specific program, but the one without "SMUX" in the name. The video on the page is just one of many for the tutorial. Did you read that? Did you read the source code in the hitechnic-irseeker-v2-test programs? I added plenty of comments on how to use the calls and what they do. You should also take a look at the function API documentation: http://botbench.com/driversuite/. Click on "modules" and select IR Seeker V2 from the list.

It would also help if you could explain to us what it is you're trying to achieve.

= Xander

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:22 am
Profile WWW
Rookie

I am so excited that responses are so quick. I did use the one without smux in the name as well as with because I don't know what SMUX means. I hadn't found a tutorial that gives enough info. I thought I had searched every "corner" of the botbench site for more info particularly what commands mean but I didn't find the API documentation that you sent me to. Thank you so much. I will read through that and see if I can understand it.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:11 pm
Rookie

OK I am going through the link you suggested and I have questions. What is the difference between AC and DC? Why does the program : hitechnic-irseeker-v2.h give me the errors :

**Severe*:Couldn't open '#include' file 'drivers/hitechnic-irseeker-v1.h'
**Error**:Undefined procedure 'HTIRSreadAllStrength'.
**Error**:Too many parameters specified. Call to 'HTIRSreadAllStrength'. Parameter: 'N/A' is 'HTIRS' of type 'tSensors'.
**Error**:Undefined procedure 'HTIRSreadDir'.
**Error**:Too many parameters specified. Call to 'HTIRSreadDir'. Parameter: 'N/A' is 'HTIRS' of type 'tSensors'.

I thought I installed the drivers according to the tutorial. Or am I misunderstanding what the first error is telling me?

What we are doing is deciding what region the ir sensor is reading from then we run a subroutine to drive over right in front of the ir beacon. Once in front we follow the signal to try and put the ring on the pvc. Finding which area is working but we need to know the signal strength in order to follow the signal more precisely. Currently the robot is varies a 1- 8 inch around the pvc which isn't good. I know there is a math equation to figure out the exact center of the signal but I can't do that until I know how to read the values of the 5 ir within the IR Sensor It seems logical that HTIRSreadAllStrength would be the correct command but with the error I have above it doesn't appear correct. Also what command do I use to take the value and use it in a math equation?

Another question is on the below info are the dcS1 through 5 a location name for the values that I can use in an equation?
Parameters:
link the HTIRS port number
dcS1 data from internal sensor nr 1
dcS2 data from internal sensor nr 2
dcS3 data from internal sensor nr 3
dcS4 data from internal sensor nr 4
dcS5 data from internal sensor nr 5

As you can tell we are struggling.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:54 pm

Team Wired wrote:
What is the difference between AC and DC?

The IR Soccer ball that can also be used with this specific sensor can generate two types of IR signals, continuous (DC) and pulsed at about 1200Hz (AC). For FTC, use AC, as the beacons send out a 1200Hz signal. Pulsing the signal makes it less affected by external IR sources, like bright lights and the sun.
Quote:
Why does the program : hitechnic-irseeker-v2.h give me the errors :

Files in ending in .h are not generally programs, they're more like libraries. You include those files in your own program using the #include statement. The files you want to check out for examples are in the parent folder of the drivers/ folder. It contains .c files.

Quote:
Another question is on the below info are the dcS1 through 5 a location name for the values that I can use in an equation?
Parameters:
link the HTIRS port number
dcS1 data from internal sensor nr 1
dcS2 data from internal sensor nr 2
dcS3 data from internal sensor nr 3
dcS4 data from internal sensor nr 4
dcS5 data from internal sensor nr 5

I am not sure what the question is you're trying to ask here :) Can you try to explain what you're trying to do?

= Xander

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]