View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Accuracy Specs for Hitechnic IR Seeker V2, Compass, IR Ball? 
Rookie

Post Accuracy Specs for Hitechnic IR Seeker V2, Compass, IR Ball?
I need some additional information about 4 Hitechnic products:
- IR Seeker V2 sensor;
- Compass sensor;
- Infrared Electronic Ball;
- 360 IR Beacon.

I want to solve next problem - using 2 Electronic Balls (or IR Beacons) and IR Seeker Sensor V2 to create a GPS System. They said to have a 5m radius infrared signal coverage and so we can create a polygon with a side of 2m with full IR covering. So as i think a robot equipped with IR Seeker V2 sensor, which is said to have 240 degrees visibility zone will always be able to see one of Electronic Balls and so navigate to any point inside this polygon. But i can't get info about possibility of measuring distance using IR Seeker sensor. If there is such an information, please, could you give me it?

The second question is about Electronic Ball. It is said to have 20 IR diods inside. How this diods are placed inside the ball and will it be possible to detect them with IR Seeker V2 sensor if i place the Ball on 30 cm height from the floor?

The last question is about Compass Sensor. Does it have any inaccuracy or if the robot is said to move in 90 degrees direction it always be without any sensible errors?

If any official tech specs do exist, please, could you send me or give information about where i could download them?

Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:13 pm

Post Re: Accuracy Specs for Hitechnic IR Seeker V2, Compass, IR B
If the official specs exist, then it would probably be HiTechnic who has them, not the people from Robomatter or I :)

1. You cannot accurately measure distance with IR because the amount of detected light may depend on the battery level of your beacon or ball.
  2. I don't have the beacon, so I have no experience with that.
  3. As for the ball, they're placed in 2 rings around the middle and then a couple around the poles on each end.
  4. All sensors have inaccuracies. Compasses are heavily influenced by metal objects, motors and other electronics. Mounting it in a good spot is going to be your #1 priority when you get it. After that, you must calibrate it for that specific robot (that part is quite easy). If you're using a large table, then you'll find that if you drive close a table leg, the compass will be influenced somewhat.

| ROBOTC 3rd Party Driver Suite: [Project Page]

Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Rookie

Post Re: Accuracy Specs for Hitechnic IR Seeker V2, Compass, IR B
I study Hitechnic site thoroughly and didn't found any specs.
I wrote a letter to their support just before posted question here.
If they answer i'll write about it here.

I post my question here in hope, somebody had programmed smth like that and have practical experience. )

Or yeah, thanks for info about dependence on battery level and LEDs placement inside IR Ball.
Will use your advice about compass sensor placement to avoid influence by metal objects.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]